Won't start after hot

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
96 6.5l TD when they shut it off when up to normal operting temps it will restart if they go back out within 5 mins but let it sit longer than that and no start. If they wait about 3 hours it will fire right up.

No check engine light - runs fine otherwise.

Idears???

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
PMD, or pump mounted driver. FSD, fuel selenoid driver. It is called many things but basicly it controls fuel delivery. Some people mount it on a heat sink on the intake or elsewere to keep is from experiencing extreme temps. To make sure when it wont start hot open the hood and blow a big fan on the intake down into the valley of the engine onto the injection pump. If it starts after a little while then that is most likely the problem. The same thing can be done with a bag of ice placed on the IP.

HeartbeatHauler

Reaction score
dieseldummy said:
PMD, or pump mounted driver. FSD, fuel selenoid driver. It is called many things but basicly it controls fuel delivery. Some people mount it on a heat sink on the intake or elsewere to keep is from experiencing extreme temps. To make sure when it wont start hot open the hood and blow a big fan on the intake down into the valley of the engine onto the injection pump. If it starts after a little while then that is most likely the problem. The same thing can be done with a bag of ice placed on the IP.
I really don't know much about the 6.5, but I seem to remember reading something about the glow plug controller heating up and not allowing the plugs to heat up after a cool down. Is the glow plug controller something that can cause this type of problem?

Then this FSD or PMD where is that located? My buddy has a '94 6.5 and it suffers this same problem, but it is only intermittent.
JP

rubberfish

Reaction score
HeartbeatHauler said:
Then this FSD or PMD where is that located?
It is the black box that is mounted on
the drivers side of the injector pump.
It's about 5 hours to re-re.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I think the controller problem was mostly on the pre electronic pump trucks. So '93 and earlier. As stated above the PMD is on the drivers side of IP under the intake. Unless a relocation kit is used along with a new PMD the whole intake and ect. has to come off to get at it.

HeartbeatHauler

Reaction score
Man! That sounds like a job for an xpert, of which, I ain't. Thanks though at least now we can point the mec-a-nic in the right direction.
JP