WMO/*** filter lifespan?

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a 13gpm transfer pump into 2 spin on filters, the first is a 10 micron and the second is a 2 micron. Its this filter and its about the size of a powerstroke oil filter http://www.jmesales.com/item/35561/Cim-Tek-200-Series-Fuel-Filter.aspx

My problem is that I am only getting about 10 gallons of waste atf through the 2 micron filter before it slows the flow to a trickle. The 10 micron never seems to get clogged. What kind of filter lifespans are you guys getting?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Depends on how much dirt is in your unfiltered oil. The longer you settle before filtering the longer your filters will last. Also don't pull your oil from the bottom of your pre-filter source.

I have filtered several hundred gallons of oil through the 2 micron filter although I gravity feed filter instead of pressure feed filter my oil.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
When I was doing WMO I was using $2.00 10" household water filters, they lasted a couple hundred gallons, I ganged 50, 20, 10, 1 in line and then filtered through a Goldenrod.

It's been a few years since I ran WMO and WATF, but my stuff always seemed very clean, after all it's constantly filtered.

burnout350vo

Reaction score
go to a paint supply shop and get some paint straining socks and run it through cold, then when you run it through any electric pump you want it to be hot first or you will burn up your pump and all the cold wax will clog your filter, ive been through 15 different pumps and too many filters to try and count, but its gotten me 150,000 miles on wvo, motor oil, tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid, even tiki torch fluid, with one flat plate heat exchanger under the hood

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
If you're very careful with the way you set it up and monitor it for trouble every now and then you can grab a low density how water heater element rated at 4500w/220v and drive it at 110v (they last longer than their 110v brethren), you then go to the electrical section and get a junction box nut that fits the thread on the element. Pick up a 110v how water heater thermostat too.

You get a hole saw and drill your hole to mount the element about 6" off the bottom, put the washer on the outside mount it with the nut.

JBWeld the thermostat at the the drum lip just below the level to which you will be filling it with oil. Wire her up.

Then I would grab a bundle of r19 and wrap the barrel - being careful to leave a 4" hole in all direction around the mounting point for the heater element to avoid fire hazards. Then wrap the insulation it with saran wrap.

heater element: ~$15.00
thermostat: ~$15.00
insulation: ~$10.00

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Is there any way to heat up a 55 gallon drum without spending over $100 or building a fire underneath?

A band heater will cost you about $150 but it's safe, has variable heat settings and works like a charm. Google: Gordo Sales

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
A band heater will cost you about $150 but it's safe, has variable heat settings and works like a charm. Google: Gordo Sales

You forgot to add that it takes about 4x the time a hot water heater element does to heat a drum full of 30F oil to 150F.

I own both. I prefer the heater element approach, even with it's safety implications.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Nope, we capture methane from grazing cows because it's cheaper than paying the electric company for pricey kWh of electricity for a band heater. The methane heats my oil really fast. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online