WMO mix In Torpedo Heater?

Grass Hauler

Reaction score
Seams like a few of you guys run a mix in your trucks. Hope its ok to post about this stuff in this section. I have a snow removal business and have an insulated shop with no heat. Last two seasons I have used my Remington 70k BTU heater on #2 Diesel. I have 20 gallons of WMO I would like to mix 2/3 D2 1/3 WMO to start. Heater is rated to burn D1 D2 heating oil jet A and kerosene. I primarily plan on using this mix to melt down my Bobcats overnight when no one is in the shop (heater has temp controller and pressure gauge). The shop really never gets below 25 deg no matter how cold it is outside, so additive will be added if needed understanding that WMO is thicker than diesel, also its very easy to adjust pressures on the heater.

I know there is no exact science for my situation and I will do some trial and error testing but a little insight goes a long ways. TWO ?'s: What would be a really simple and inexpensive filter system? And anyone have a little experience with some suggestions? Thanks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as your WMO is filtered well...very well, you should be golden, why not get some WVO too....and try to get stove oil, no road tax, should be cheaper and a finer blend than #2...this would help cut costs more...you could play with your mixtures I suppose...

JM2CW

Al

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you can burn it up to a certain % blend, but.......is the heater vented to the outside? Being inside and breathing it if it don't have a stack it is what I would think about. On my trucks its going out the exhaust behind the rear tire...Just my .02 cents

wmoguy

Reaction score
I bought a "multi fuel" heater like you have (I can't remember the brand off hand) it's a 75k btu unit.

It's running fine on WMO blends. I'm not really sure what the %'s are because started out with an 80wmo/20% kerosense blend and it wouldn't light this weekend (it was 17 degrees ambient) after adding a little diesel it fired off fine. There is no difference in the emissions output, you'd never know what it was or wasn't burning. Someone else mentioned "venting" I'm sure it goes without saying, make sure you have a garage door cracked or some windows open a little.

I think you'll just have to play with it some to get the "formula" to where your heater likes it. We burned it all last winter in a buddies 150k btu heater and no ill effects. As for filtering: I already have a centrifuge and it costs me basically nothing to filter before hand so i do it. If you don't have a filtering system I'd be inclined to burn it "as is" and just maybe be prepared to change the ignitor a little more often.

Grass Hauler

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I made a really horrible filtering system to temporarily test, (no you cant see pics LOL) its very slow but thats ok it gives me something to do in the off season. Last night I mixed 1/3 gal diesel to 1 gal WMO and dumped it in the heater which already had 2.5 gal of diesel in it. Ran perfect so far, I plan to add a thicker mixture as I go but 15/40w is thick so probably end up at 50/50. No noticeable smell difference, I will vent the space If I am in the shop but it also helps that the shop is (20by60) and has 16' sidewalls and must be a 20' ceiling. My next WMO project is converting it to tire shine! Free is FUN! Must stop supporting other countries by buying china junk.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I made a really horrible filtering system to temporarily test, (no you cant see pics LOL) its very slow but thats ok it gives me something to do in the off season. Last night I mixed 1/3 gal diesel to 1 gal WMO and dumped it in the heater which already had 2.5 gal of diesel in it. Ran perfect so far, I plan to add a thicker mixture as I go but 15/40w is thick so probably end up at 50/50. No noticeable smell difference, I will vent the space If I am in the shop but it also helps that the shop is (20by60) and has 16' sidewalls and must be a 20' ceiling. My next WMO project is converting it to tire shine! Free is FUN! Must stop supporting other countries by buying china junk.

I have a fairly new multi-fuel torpedo heater, and anything more than a couple gallons per tank full and it gets picky on when it wants to ignite. Sometimes I have to go through the ignition process 2 or 3 times. If your going to leave the thing unattended for any period of time on temp control, Id say your gonna have trouble. Once it ignites, its fine. Its just getting it to ignite initially. 50/50 blend wouldn't ignite in my unit, I ended up draining half it out and dumping it back in my truck and filling with K1. BTW , I WOULD NEVER ENDORSE UNATTENDED USE OF ANY OPEN FLAME HEATING UNIT!!!

Grass Hauler

Reaction score
Good to know, i will probably stick with the original plan of 1/3wmo 2/3d2 for a while to see how it goes. Very true on leaving it unattended this might only happen once or twice a year for 5hrs while I get a nap between snowfalls.

sassyrel

Reaction score
you should be golden, why not get some WVO too....JM2CW

Al[/QUOTE]

N O O !!!!!!!! been there,,tried it,,,,F A I L U R E!!!!!! i was mixing 2/3 veg, 1/3 dsl!! NOOOO!! i even,,tired heating the mix in the tank....NOOOOO!!! i do believe,,if this was being used,,in a regular fuel oil furnace,,youd be ok..

sassyrel

Reaction score
I bought a "multi fuel" heater like you have (I can't remember the brand off hand) it's a 75k btu unit.

brand??? please tell,,as i dont want to burn any more dsl in the shop than i have to...