WMO & Magnets In Tank

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I was on the WMO iscussion with a buddy of mine yesterday and he had an idea I hadn't thought of. What about dropping two or three of those tubular high strength magnets into the tank to catch some of the errant metal particles that escape the filtering process? I've got six of the 2-3 inch long 1/2 inch around magnets that usually take two hands to pull off the side of a toolbox. If I could get them through the filler neck down into the tank they could act like the magnets in the bottom of a tranny pan to catch some metal particles. Cheap insurance.

What do you think? :dunno

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean those magnets that get dropped inside cows to attract metal in them?

I agree. Just place them on the outside of the tank, or snag some magnets off of some old speakers. Those things really pull as well.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah on the outside is a much better plan, and magnets realign the molecules in the fuel and make it burn better and you'll get like 10mpg more!!!!!!!!!11one!!1 i mean just check ebay and you'll know it's true! LOL I get all my engineering off ebay adds:D:angel:

sassyrel

Reaction score
then again--what STEEL do you think makes it past a 5 micron filter??? and bearings wearing out produce LEAD, the babbitt in bearings---and if there was that much STEEL getting into the crankcase, how much of that would get thru a 20 micron oil filter on the crankcase oil?? then what would be happening to your bearings,and engine with that steel flowing thru the engine???? just a thought------------------LOL

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe a little rusty tank will collect on the magnet surrounded area?

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then again--what STEEL do you think makes it past a 5 micron filter??? and bearings wearing out produce LEAD, the babbitt in bearings---and if there was that much STEEL getting into the crankcase, how much of that would get thru a 20 micron oil filter on the crankcase oil?? then what would be happening to your bearings,and engine with that steel flowing thru the engine???? just a thought------------------LOL

ALOT!!!....get a magnetic drainplug and take a look...its so fine it feels like grease..but its metal man!!:sly

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
yeah on the outside is a much better plan, and magnets realign the molecules in the fuel and make it burn better and you'll get like 10mpg more!!!!!!!!!11one!!1 i mean just check ebay and you'll know it's true! LOL I get all my engineering off ebay adds:D:angel:

They left out the rest of the sentence, the full sentence goes like this...

We have proven that your downhill fuel economy will be 10 MPG better with these magnets than your uphill fuel economy without these magnets.

See...they don't lie! :sly

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to do the magnet trick in the WMO/fuel, I would get a GoldenRod filter unit and put the big magnets inside it's see-thru bowl.

Then, you could actually see the good it is doing.

Magnets sloshing around inside the tank will never be seen again, so one would never know how effective or necessary they were. ;Sweet

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a donut magnet that I keep on my oil filter at all times. I've never cut it open to see what it's collecting or if it's collecting anything. but I have the peace of mined that I'm doing a little something extra.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
You mean those magnets that get dropped inside cows to attract metal in them?

Those are the ones! I'da never thought anyone else would know what I was talking about if I referred to them as "cow stomach" magnets.

I guess outside of the tank would work too. I don't really need to see them to know they're helping I just figured they would work better inside the tank.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
What about using them in your filtering process before you put the oil in your tank?