WMO filtration

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I scored about 55 gal of used diesel oil and can keep getting more so i want to start burning the stuff.

i need help figuring how to set up the filtration system. and where to get the parts. and whats the best way to set it all up.

i think it will be easier to go with something gravity fed and its not like i am processing tons of the stuff. ill probably only run 50/50.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a compressor tank and compressed air to filter the oil. I have two house hold water filters that go down to 10 and 5 microns. Before those I have a 20 micron cummins water seperator and filter and then a 5 micron cat filter.

I bought the water filter stuff for around 40 and paid around 50 for the semi filter heads and filters.

Just put the oil in the tank, add 80 psi of air, open the valve and let it all go to work.

Gravity feeding works, but I tend to run out of patients when Im out of fuel and out of money.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i built a heated tank out of a 30 gal drum and put it in the back of my truck it has saved me so much money the first trip to alabama payed for the tank parts i used the air pressure to filter my oil . my truck i can swich over as soon as the truck temp comes up today i road around and put over 100 miles and it cost me 7 dollers in diesel i wish i wold have built my tank sooner because it will save you the first week u use it i will see if i can load some picts this week it cost me about a 100 dollers to build it i have run oil for about 3 years and my truck loves it you cant tell the diffrence between the power or the milege but like i keep up with that if you have any questions just ask i did change my swicthing valve out i bought it frome omaresales it is a one wire set up and it has vition seals good luke oboy

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures would be great. My systems a little hard to use, I built it out of stuff I had sitting around in my garage.

What do filter your oil to?

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno
Sweet I have about 200gals of almost new hyd oil and can get more very used hyd oil so I was thinking of burning it. Should I filter down to 5 micron or is ten ok?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to go down to at least one. But had no problems burning around 200-300 gallons of wvo and wmo at 5 m.

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
If you are going to filter the oil to 1 micron, I would suggest doing it before it is in the truck. You will starve the truck before you even get down the road. I have been running a 10 micron Racor filter and have not had any issues. It also takes care of the moisture problems. The stock fuel filter for the fuel and water filtration, filters down to "if I remember right since it has been soo long", is 15 - 20. Since the internals of the fuel pump are made out of such a high strength steel, the pump does not even know that you are running a batch of Waste Motor Oil. Also, the injectors are more crude than the PSD injectors and do not clog up as fast and do not have the problems that you might see if you were running a PSD on Wast Cooking Oil. You also have to remember to do a pre filter before the oil hits the tank of the truck. I have a 30 micron filter attached to a gas powered pump that does the trick. And I would also look into getting Injector Line Heaters.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any need for injector line heaters. What is being discussed here is waste motor oil and hyd oil which is about 10w so it can be run straight. I hear 50-50 mix of wmo is great as far as thickness goes. Trucks that have turbos tend to run a little cleaner on the highway because the extra air helps to burn the wmo more completely. At idle or very low speeds you might smoke a bit so always have fresh diesel in 1 tank for city driving. Personally I run my wmo with 10-15% rug to thin it enough to flow through the filter. I still have plenty of lubricity in my mix. Alot on people balk at my using rug as a thinner but it even says in the mercedes diesel owners manual for my old 300sd that up to 30% gasoline can be used in the winter. I have started my truck when it's cold on my mix. It's a little harder to start(not real bad) so I do prefer to start on diesel

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filter schmilter... I stick mine in an old fuel oil tank that has an electric Great Plains Industries fuel pump on it, with a standard 10 micron fuel pump filter. I stick the nozzle in the tank and fill er' up. In the winter I cut it with some diesel or ATF to keep it thinned out. Been doing this for years. Look at it this way... 55 gallons of diesel is about 150 dollars. Do this twice, and you'll have saved enough to buy a new IP. But, you'll get to do it a whole lot more than twice. The only reason your burning WMO is to save money. You can do that, buy new IP's when you need them, and still come out on top financially.

DragRag

Reaction score
Filter schmilter... I stick mine in an old fuel oil tank that has an electric Great Plains Industries fuel pump on it, with a standard 10 micron fuel pump filter. I stick the nozzle in the tank and fill er' up. In the winter I cut it with some diesel or ATF to keep it thinned out. Been doing this for years. Look at it this way... 55 gallons of diesel is about 150 dollars. Do this twice, and you'll have saved enough to buy a new IP. But, you'll get to do it a whole lot more than twice. The only reason your burning WMO is to save money. You can do that, buy new IP's when you need them, and still come out on top financially.

This is exactly the way I look at it to. I can kill a lot of parts with the money I save on fuel. I still don't kill parts though, only fuel filters. I use 10 micron goldenrod fuel filters myself, which can be bought at any autoparts store.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you guys source your WMO? I've tried asking some local auto repair places, and most of them have set-ups to burn it for shop heat. I change my own oil, but that is not going to yield me much. Also, are there any types of hydraulic oils to avoid? Thanks

DragRag

Reaction score
How do you guys source your WMO? I've tried asking some local auto repair places, and most of them have set-ups to burn it for shop heat. I change my own oil, but that is not going to yield me much. Also, are there any types of hydraulic oils to avoid? Thanks

Keep asking around, that's all I do.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
does it matter what kind of filter you use? i mean do you you have to use an oil filter to filter the WMO or will any ol filter do?