WMO: Can Old Motor Oil Lose Volitility Like Old Gas?

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found about 2 gallons of un-openned oil in an old barn. It was from whenever Penzoil put its oil in cans. As well as some Johnson 2-stroke outboard oil, and some 85-90 gear oil, a gallon of hydraulic fluid, and 2 gallons of SAE 30. All un-openned. So I figured they were good fuel. But when I switched to the front tank it sputtered out and almost died. Its mixed with about 50% diesel. I didn't think oil degrades over time, does it?

Or is there something in the mix that shouldn't be burned? The temperature was about 60 degrees but the tank might still have been only around 50 or so, since a lot of the oil was not multi-viscosity and there was a lot of gear oil could it be that it was just to thick to pump it? I only have a Posi-Flow pump, nothing special. What kind of electric pump are people running that are using up to 75% WMO?

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I got a drum of used oil that had been sitting in my uncle's barn for over a decade. Burned fine...

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thin it with some #2 and see if it gets better, probably just a problem with your lift pump pulling it up, especially if it's original (or just plain tired). You should also drain your water separator. I've seen a lot of water in old oil, especially if it's in a large canister (5 gallon buckets for instance) and any wierdness like sputtering hard starts are usually confirmed by some water when I drain the separator.

Good luck

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also that gear oil if its very much is usually pretty nasty and its a bit on the heavy side for your pumps.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably 1 to 1.5 gallons gallon of gear oil and 2 gallons of SAE 30, which has the same pour point as gear oil.

I have an electric lift pump but its a cheap one. Any one know where to get a mechanical piston style lift pump?

Probably got down to low 50s maybe in the high 40's last night? Think it was just too thick?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I agree, thin it out and see what happens. I saw some straight 50W oil for sale new in the 20L pale for $10/pale at the local IH dealer today...I did a double take and almost bought the works as it was cheaper than diesel...LOL....I did however scoop up 100L of waste Rotella T from work today...:D :D :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New oil dosent burn like used oil, too fresh. My son the chem student says dirty oil has enough crap in it to work better, thinner also is the big issue. I would never use gear oil for fuel.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, I hope it can burn with some diesel added to it. Would have to have wasted the diesel that was in there. I guess I'll have to try and find out. A lot of people have used some gear oil and had no problems. Thought it should be fine, guess not. Guess I'll see if the pump will pump the oil when its cold and I'll go from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.