wiring questions

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I need a little advice.I have a butt load of parts comming in for the Enterprise and I want to start roughing in the new wiring but got a few questions.First off what size Main hot will I need.Thinking about 16 guage.Gonna be running an electric Fuel pump,Propane(Powershot),Water injection,Heated Mirrors(Napa Jobbers),Fuel selector,13LEDs(12-20mA current draw each),Couple of small automotive relays(for power hungry Compressor and cool ricer scaring lights)and 2 electric motor driven gizmos(small motors so not a big draw).Want to try and get all this run with one power wire if it is possible to simplify wiring.Also,does anyone know how I can wire up the Powershot to use Toggle switches instead of the factory rockers(Hope I can use SPDT ON/ON switches!)?The control panel for all this will be mounted right above me and to the right on that cool Shelf thingy Travis installed(Gotta get one for White Lightning!) so if you see me reaching up throwing switches and lights comming on or changing.....watch out!I am powering up shields and weapons and about to go into Warp speed!........Fire all weapons and get us out of here Mr Warf!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well keep in mind that heaters on those mirrors are rated to pull 10amps when they first kick on then will dewindle down as time progresses. They are already using a relay under the hood on the passengers side fender well. They need a relay trust me...

Now to run the pump for the WMI I can't remember the amp draw but want to say it's pretty steep once you throw a lock off solenoid in the mix and she's getting close to the max pressure.

You might want to look at 8 or 10 gauge and call it a day. Or best is take amp measurements for each thing under load conditions and then add it all up. Remember Kirchoff's current law : All current flowing into a node must flow out a node, meaning that once you add up all the branches it MUST equal the current flowing in the main wire to the circuit or you just rewrote the laws. Then when sizing your fuse just grab one size bigger than the system should pull at full maxed out conditions, this way if something farts it will take out the main fuse which will save your butt or other electronics...

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size inline fuse are you using to protect the main hot lead?
I would assume 30 amp, so either 8 or 10 amp. How much do the mirrors draw? Advanced Auto had a nice selection of aux fuse panels which would be nice for your application, just mount it to aluminum bracket under the steering column.
Here is a site that has a 12v wiring chart, although it seems at least one wire size conservative http://www.windsun.com/Hardware/Wire_Table.htm

Travis posted while I was still writing mine. The fuel pump is a 7 amp fuse.

Last edited:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
It's mister wolf :fight: :D

Seems to me 16 guage would be too small. For some stuff i did, i used an extension cord and seein it had three wires in it, i ran one to the positive terminal, one to netative and left one for future use. Worked out well. Not sure what guage it is though, only running a few small things though.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Dang it.I just gave away about 20 feet of 4 guage and 8 gauge wire to a buddy.Left overs from when I wired my system.Oh well.Walmart here I come.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the heck do you need heated mirrors in Alabama for anyway? ;p

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mel for the same reason that when I move down south (some day) I'm taking my snow blower with me and gonna set it in the front lawn to hold my flowers - something for the locals to go :***:

Freight_Train

Reaction score
For nights like tonight.Left the shop at 11pm and both of the mirrors on the falcon were coated.Dang frost!37degree and frosty!Gotta love the south!High humidity no matter what temp and breezy for that nice wind chill effect!

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Wind Chill??!!!!

I know some places are colder but try -10 and a good 20 MPH wind. That's what we have here in N. Idaho right now. Now that will get your attention when it blows arctic air up your (well, her) skirt!:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW Freight, I was wondering if Travis left the CB go with the truck? Perhaps you have ex Moose Truck gear and are not aware of it? ;)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Acutally Mel that CB never got fired up by me, I ended up getting the one off my nephew, he traded it for some stereo equipement that he wanted. But your cb is living a comfy life with a buddy (the one that lent me his shop to work on The Enterprise when we lived in an Apt) He has to taken it out to his hunting cabin in CO up in the mountains. From what he tells me it's so dang far off the beaten path that it's still the basic means of communication out there. So nope no Moose truck parts in/on The Enterprise.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, glad it is getting some use anyway. Hope you gave him the certificate too. ;p

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Nope.No CB(Dang it:cry: But I didn't expect a running truck for $1750 either but it does somewhat run!).Travis did leave the Diesel 1/4 sticks and Cophase wire for easy hook up.Guess I will have to put my Cobra 29 WX/ST and kicker in there....Thinking of cutting out(so it fits like factory0 the center of the overhead console and mount the CB there with the amp behind it.What is the biggest Alternator I can fit on a 7.3L with Serpentin belt setup(Yea,you read that right!).......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online