wiring issues the final solution

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i finally bit the bullet, after the intermittent function of half the fuse block, many frayed wires,and numerous other issues, i have finally decided to solve the wiring once and for all.

i bought a painless 28 circuit harness its a nice kit and it will be installed as soon as i have a few warm days to work on it. also i will be getting new pigtails for everything i can and all my add ons will now be on the harness like they should.

if anyone is interested in an install how to, or was wondering anything let me know if i get enough interest ill do a write up on it.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that would be interesting.
Someday would like to do a cab swap/switch, so I'm betting wiring could be a problem.
(seems like it usually does become a problem)

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes please. wiring in vehicles is very intimidating to me. so maybe this will help me get over it, or make it worse.:rotflmao

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cab swap would be a good option to add the harness in i think, well see whats involved with this setup on the chassis.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see it for my own interest, if you'd like to share. I'm studying electrical engineering, and as such I'm slowly building up how I want my truck to eventually be wired. I love pictures of how others do theirs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i finally bit the bullet, after the intermittent function of half the fuse block, many frayed wires,and numerous other issues, i have finally decided to solve the wiring once and for all.

i bought a painless 28 circuit harness its a nice kit and it will be installed as soon as i have a few warm days to work on it. also i will be getting new pigtails for everything i can and all my add ons will now be on the harness like they should.

if anyone is interested in an install how to, or was wondering anything let me know if i get enough interest ill do a write up on it.

Two fold, .....

Yes do document it thoroughly as you are completely changing the truck from stock, lots of photos and wiring diagrams and so forth, thus if you pass the truck along to kids, sell it or what have you, you have a document/booklet that has clear distinct descriptions and images that can help you or a mechanic or anyone fixing it.;Sweet

With the above, you automatically have enough info and such to provide a great HOW TO thread or TECH thread for the tech section on how to completely rewire your truck.;Sweet:hail

So yes, I fully suggest you do this, also doing it online leaves so much for others!

Looks to me ya got enough votes for a go...cause the first vote was all I would have needed myself:D

JM2CW

Al

PS this is a Tech 101 I wanna see:sly

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replied in another post about this. I don't see the point in paying all that money for a Painless or any other aftermarkt harness if all you get is new wire and a new fuse box. Look at all the splices you are going to have, and all the old corroded crappy plugs you will have to re-use. I know you said you will try top find as many new pigtails as you can, but I can;'t think of but a few that are available. If you do a good job and solder all the splices and use shrink wrap to cover them, it may not be too bad, but not worth all that money for just fancy marked wiring and a fuse box that is not even stock.

Am I wrong on this? You could by yourself some rolls of wire and splice it in just as easy. I hope they have all the odd circuits that Ford used in some of these trucks.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
franklin, you could, this wire is better than stock, it has excelent labeling so a wiring diagram is not even needed. my truck got some not available stock add ons and it also has oem options ive added. as for the weird circuits well no worry, most gasser carb circuits cross over ex: choke =high idle and timing adv. coil+ = fss wire its not hard, i have had it all figured out for a while.

iron man, i want to keep my 88 dash, the obs wiring would need changed anyway for me with a ton of addons etc. but i would be interested in it for some parts, pm me please ill be in OH for the girlfriends brothers wedding soon.

and riot it takes one yes or 500 no votes to get you to do a tech write up lol

does anyone know of a good site i can put this on for free? i do not think i will have enough room here to do a full write up as i would cover every circuit.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you can't find the right replacement plug, there's no need to use the old wiring in the plug.
Just get the pin tools and some new pins. Make it new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking of that, but im having trouble finding the pins as i dont know if this is the Packard style or not?

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking of that, but im having trouble finding the pins as i dont know if this is the Packard style or not?
That is kind of what i was getting at earlier. Ford had there own thing and will not sell the components to make or repair connectors that is why you can find all kinds of stuff for gm because they used the standard weatherpac connectors but no one can get a hold of the ford stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online