Will not start when cold!!!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a voltage measurement at the #2 glow plug (you'll have to get creative to make contact). You should see around 6 volts when the glow cycle starts, and slowly rise towards battery voltage by 15 seconds. If it isn't doing that, you've got a bad contactor, wiring, or plugs.

Doesn't sound like you did that? :dunno You can't ohm out a wire with a load on it. I've ohmed out lots of starter solenoids that had zero ohms of resisitance, yet couldn't pass an amp through them. cookoo

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just spent another two hrs investigating the glow plugs. All my glow plugs are good(according to the TEST LIGHT method). At number 2 glow plug when they are cycling the voltage drops down to 8 volts from 12.9 volts base voltage, which means I definately have draw on the batteries when the glow plugs are cycling and quite a bit of draw. When I checked for resistance on the individual glow plug wires I first checked for continuety through each wire and then checked for excessive resistance that would impede current flow through the wire. I gotta believe the plugs are working

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would concur then. What color is your exhaust when you are cranking? If your not seeing blue/white smoke, then you have no fuel.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did a little more investigating today, I took out number 2 glow plug and grounded it to metal and hooked it up. It got super hot, so the plugs are definately working. Then I put a hair dryer on the injection pump to see if there was some anamoly with the pump being cold= no cold start. That did nothing. Then I got pissed and spayed some carb cleaner in the air cleaner, Bam she fired right up! So I am at the conclusion that either my starter isnt spinning the motor fast enough or I am not building enough compression to fire it off. I know when I did the comperssion test it took about 4 or 5 revolutions to build to about 400-425 psi(all cylinders were even) but that was when the motor was fairly warm. Does that sound about right? The starter is a reman from auto zone. It does seem to spin the motor fairly slow when its cold, but i imagine it would being that it is around 0 degrees here in wisconsin in the morning. My batteries are are fairly new from napa and they are 850 cca. If I plug it in it will fire up instantly. I tested all the battery cables for voltage drop(including the negatives) and the most I have is like .2 volts. If its cold NO GO!! It starting to **** me off. My dads cummins will fire off without even waiting for the grid heaters to cycle! This thing will not even attempt to start.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
good luck man, its usually the plugs if it fires right up when plugged in. im out of suggestions.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I spray starting fluid into the air cleaner and it starts than I obviously have fuel, right?