will it start tomorrow

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If glow plugs good and additive it should if not run an extension cord out your window if it opens

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet is no, sorry. Hope I'm wrong. It takes a LOT more than good glow plugs and fuel additive for an IDI to start below 0 F in my experience.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure it will start. But please let us know how it turns out. Nobody here wants to be right or wrong. Hope the game is or was a good one.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....my idis regularly start below 0 degrees fahrenheit. You need a good tight engine and a good set of glow plugs

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Worst case, ether. I think its justifiable at those temps if it wont start with glow plugs. Just give it a few minutes to let the heat escape the cylinders from previous attempt, give it a shot of ether and it should start right up.

When my grandfather was an OTR'er he told me he sometimes would crawl underneath when it was well below zero, and put a road flare underneath the oil pan.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you have 5W30 in the pan, all GP's working, really good batteries, at that temp there about 40% power, a good starter. Being in Montana , you should know all that, especially this winter.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is near zero and I dont have it plugged in, I skip the headache and either it. 2 cranks and its rumbling

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my old IP, my truck wouldn't even think about starting in anything below 20 unless it was plugged in. With the new IP, it fired right up at -10F with one cycle of the glow plugs.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the thinnist diesel oil found in the cold states? 15\40 is the norm here. I just reciently saw a 10\30 and a synthetic 5\40

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a try or two, but its running. Weather channel says -10. Seat firmness and key switch says its colder. Little db starter spun it like it was summer.
As far as thin oil New holland and John deere both sell 0w-40.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well there ya go.. I knew it was going to start for you but I figured it might be telling you nope... But try me again... 0W40 oil is not something I would choose to run but knowing its available is interesting too.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming that the 0w40 is a diesel oil its prolly the best choice for -10. Prolly burns it pretty fast though.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal. I hate vehicles that won't start. The coldest my IDI started at was -3F after an overnight soak, and it started really quick. I had a brand new injection pump and injectors, new glowplugs with manual control, decent group 65 batteries and cables, a good starter, and proper timing. The when I moved to Arizona it was a pain to start anywhere under 30, even with brand new group 31 and brand new battery cables including a 3/0 lead to the starter. I think the elevation had the most effect, and the fact that the IP was no longer brand new but had 10k or so on it.

My Jetta TDI starts really well generally. I run 5W40 synthetic in it all the time. The coldest I've needed to start it was -15F, at 7000 ft elevation, and it was hard. It did start, but took more cranking than I like. I went through the 12/13 winter driving it daily with no block heater. I'll never do that again. Now I have a garage attached to the house, so it stays reasonably warm so I don't need a block heater anyway. Just have to make sure that I run fuel additive - it could start up fine in a 30 F garage and gel up running down the highway at -10 F.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
well, it's currently -23*f here, and my truck just started
dead block heater, so it's not plugged in
I gave her 3 glow then crank cycles until she started sputtering trying to start, then gave her another crank while glowing at the same time
definitely keep the ether handy when it's this cold, I keep the booster cart and a can of ether just inside the door to the house during winter, as well as a can of ether under the drivers seat for when I'm gone