WILL A STOCK IDI BEET A POWERSTROKE ON TAKEOFF?

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK, I HAVE NOT GOT THE CHANCE TO RACE A POWERSTROKE,JUST A STOCK CHEVY 2WD -2003,I WHOOPPED ITS HINEY ON TAKE OFF, BUT HE WOULD OF GOT ME ON TOP END. BUT I THINK THE IDI HAS MORE OUT OF THE HOLE POWER, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK;Sweet

Last edited:

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would think so cuz these motors dont have to wait for a turbo to spool to make there power i know my dads 96 powerstroke has no power at all before the turbo gets goin

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would think so cuz these motors dont have to wait for a turbo to spool to make there power i know my dads 96 powerstroke has no power at all before the turbo gets goin
i think your right too, cause these old idi's pull hard out of the hole- check out fordman420ci on youtube:sly i got an ok 0-60 , but i need some body to hold camera;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck runs 17.7 in the quarter mile. I know a guy with a stock OBS PSD...that ran 17.9 quarter mile. Thats a win there LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
A lot of things come into play here...I know a VW would outrun mine of the line with 3.54 gears, but with the 4.10's, it's a whole different story. Of course about 70-75 I'm up against the governer with the 4.10's, where I never met the governor with the 3.54's! (and I'm not suggesting you run against the governor, I've been there just to see where top speed was, but if you drive in a 70 MPH state with 4.10's and run with traffic, your gonna be close!) ;Sweet

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i beat a stock psd with almost same setup as mine, 5 speed and 4:10's, single cab long bed. we went from like a 40 kick and i put it in 3rd and he put it in 4th for some reason, and he didnt have the turbo spooling. so i know it was the driver's fault but i still beat him lol.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owning both, I would put my automatic Bronco up against my automatic Excursion any day. Yea, the X ways a lot more, but it's that pathetic 4R100 trans in the X which is it's achilies heel. If the race were limited to 40 MPH, the IDI would win every time.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock, I dunno, but in '96, I raced a buddie's near-new PSD and I beat him until I hit the governor at about 81 mph. He had an overdrive gear, me not, so he sailed on past for about a 10-15 mph higher top speed. 4.10s on both trucks, similar weights (both reg cab 4x4 longbeds). Mine had (has) a Gen-1 Banks kit. We were dead even about the first 30 feet then I started pulling away. Was kinda surprised, actually, but happy.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
if you took two truck with the same gear ratio axles and about the same size tires the IDI would get it off the line but once the turbo lit on the psd it would be a different story (depending upon the year of the PSD). The early PSD's against a turbo'd IDI - I'd lay my money on the IDI, on the later gen PSD's - by the end of the 1/4 I'd have to have my money on the PSD again because the turbo's are larger so it takes a little more to light that fire.

But comparing a IDI to a PSD is like comparing an IDI to a Cummins or an apple to an orange... they are all different. But I'll stick to my statement above...

Now for running against the gov'nr they should take it all day long, lugging an engine is much harder on the wrist pins and bearings than slinging them around at higher rpms. So much so in fact that Cummins will void the warranty if you goose them under low rpms, they consider it abuse and I have seen the memo stating that fact. They like them to be running before pouring the coals to them.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes even my NA IDI will beat my PSD 0-30 mph. after that the TC locks up and the turbo is screaming on the PSD so it pulls ahead.

the IDI kicks ass for low down grunt. you have to chip a 7.3 PSD to even come close.