Wide radiator to tall radiator conversion

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I remove my wide radiator(it's got small leak) and convert to tall radiator? I would rather the tall one so doing intercooler instal is much eSier and I need a new radiator anyway? And recommendation on a new radiator? Are aluminiums okay? Which brand and so forth and what's needed to swap them out

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I believe that the initial opening in both the core supports for the short/wide and narrow/tall radiators are the same (don't quote me on that), but the narrow/tall core support has an additional bracket on either side to bolt the radiator to.

Your biggest obstacle is that you'll need to get a core support for a narrow/tall anyway that at least the bottom hoop is good and straight on to graft into your current core support. Best bet is to just find and buy a zero-to-no rust core support for the narrow/tall radiator for a Bricknose truck (assuming you're talking about the truck in your signature).

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes brick nose, so I have to get a core support to do it? Not just the brackets on the side that hold it in there ?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice one there but I'm on a rightish budget unfortunately and minimal equipment I'm gonna try to find a solid core support at the local picking yards I know where a few used to be idi trucks are and see how much it is that route otherwise i may just modify for remove my fan shroud and route the piping under it and up from there. I was hoping it to be a little simpler to accomplish lol anyone know if they make a wide radiator in aluminium ?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll need to swap out radiator core supports. I have them here. you can have one, but you will need to make the trip down here to get it.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably not going to be able to make it but I think Russ(typ4) is going there maybe I can persuade him with with a few dollars to drop it off in his way back up cause I live next to i5 in Oregon on his was there Lol I've got a 2 month old baby right now so times been tight lately I've got a lot of projects holding off till summer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726