Why you do not let me near a salvage........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This truck was killed due to another mech's misdiagnosis. Actually, in reality it gave up its parts so six other trucks were made better. What's left are items that I already have a surplus on. I'm sure you can figure out the before and after..... :D

Attachments

• _RedF250_1.z508.jpg
    _RedF250_1.z508.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC00001.z516.jpg
    _DSC00001.z516.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 33
  • _DSC00003.z523.jpg
    _DSC00003.z523.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 18

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate parting them out. It's like taking a life. At least the one's I've done were mortally wounded.

dave85

Reaction score
Misdiagnosis....

Just for our info, what was the original diagnosis and the final problem?
Dave

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the mechanic said that one of the cylinders had low compression, and that therefore the engine was shot. However, the actual problem was a bad lifter...the engine ran just fine (in fact, with the Hypermax turbo, she ran like a ***** ape :D), and the drivetrain was in pretty good shape.

I actually got to drive the truck last year before parts started coming out...if I had had the $$ and could have bought the truck before us vultures got to her ;), I would have...

If memory serves, Gene Luo got the ZF5, transfer case, turbo, exhaust, and headache rack. TankerTom got the bed and tailgate. I got the rear bumper (for now; I'll probably replace it when I can find one in better shape, but this one's still miles above the POS that was on my truck before!) and the floor pan insert for the tranny (for my ZF5 conversion). I assume Calvin got everything else (including the turbo-less engine), unless someone else came up and harvested parts...

It is a sad story, though...other than needing a paint job, that truck was in good shape. But, c'est la vie, eh? At least the parts went to good homes...

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
This truck was killed due to another mech's misdiagnosis. Actually, in reality it gave up its parts so six other trucks were made better. What's left are items that I already have a surplus on. I'm sure you can figure out the before and after..... :D

I thought you'd gone back to TX. Are you still in CA for now?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
IIRC, the mechanic said that one of the cylinders had low compression, and that therefore the engine was shot. However, the actual problem was a bad lifter...the engine ran just fine (in fact, with the Hypermax turbo, she ran like a ***** ape :D), and the drivetrain was in pretty good shape.

When I did the teardown on the engine, the injector line nuts were loose on three of the lines. That was the reason why it was ******* feul all over the place. i did do a compression on it and the lowest was 480 and the highest was 520. It'll fly for me. :D BTW, the motor is now in the '92 CC with a ATS trubo and a intercooler hooked up to it. Runs good enough to get me busted for doing 95+ on monterey hwy just north of morgan hill. ;Sweet

mike 91-
I was supposed to be back in TX a month ago. The '92 finally got out of drydock last nite. I will be leaving this weekend as long as all the trials are sucessful. So far so good, all I need to do is keep using the cruise control.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mikes91-
I was supposed to be back in TX a month ago. The '92 finally got out of drydock last nite. I will be leaving this weekend as long as all the trials are sucessful. So far so good, all I need to do is keep using the cruise control.

Umm.... YEAH. I'll settle for 95mph out of my truck. :)

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean TC. Yesterday evening, I bought a 54(or55) GMC 1-t 5 window, and a slide in camper, for $100. Dang it! Now I have to move stuff around, to make room for it.

Guess that's why the call me The PackRat. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PackRat said:
I know exactly what you mean TC. Yesterday evening, I bought a 54(or55) GMC 1-t 5 window, and a slide in camper, for $100. Dang it! Now I have to move stuff around, to make room for it.

Guess that's why the call me The PackRat. LOL
Like a GMC 3600? Dually? 5 window would indicate its a '54. does it look like the chev I got in the pic? '55 would have a "panoramic" rear window and a engine bay large enough for a V-8 without crazy mods.

Attachments

• cal07.jpg
    cal07.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 12

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Actually it is either a 54, or a 55 1st series, which was the old body style. It has the one piece windshield, and curved cab corner glass. It is missing the engine/trans, hood and grille, but everything else seems to be there. Judging from the rear drum clearance, I'd say it was originally a dually, although it has singles, now. The 3100 was a 3/4t, wasn't it. I had in mind that the 1-t was a 3600, with the 1 1/2-t, being a 4100, like my 49 PackRat wrecker.

Not a problem. I have more Chubby Chebby stuff lying around, than you could shake 2 sticks at. LOL

I never liked the GMC grille anyhow, so I'll probably end up with a 47-53 Chev front clip on it.

Maybe I could talk Timmy out of the 5.9 Cummins nat-gasser, that he has stashed. Convert it to propenhagen, and make it really sick & wrong.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got any grill assy's for a '54? I need one for mime. Also, how about posting some pics of the '49 wrecker? :D ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86