Why Do We Drive A Ford IDI

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I travel for work, and I had a late 70's GMC motorhome that had a 400 small block in it that got 7 mpg. It was a beater. I decided to upgrade to a truck/trailer combo. I started looking around for a DIESEL pickup, never having owned one before. I found my F250 in 2009, one family-owned for what I considered to be a very reasonable price. It was bone-stock, but in phenomenal condition.

Three years and many $ later, I'll be driving this thing until the aforementioned zombie apocalypse is upon us.

If I didn't have an IDI, I'd be driving my current project: a 1985 CC DRW F350 with a Cummins.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive our truck for the sheer simplicity factor of it. There is very few things i couldn't fix/ rebuild on these trucks with my tools. I love the way the idi sounds and the power it delivers for the mpg. I like how comfortable i feel putting my whole family (3 kids and wife) in it and going down the freeway. Since the day i bought the truck, and the day after when i realized all the things it was gonna need, i still wouldn't have it any other way. But, in keeping with the thread, if i didn't drive our IDI, I would be driving my 78 2door Widetrack Jeep Cherokee Chief S.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all know why we drive these old IDI's. SIMPLE / RELIABLE / AFFORDABLE / EFFICIENT / RUN FOREVER AND ON A VARIETY OF FUELS / PRODUCED FOR A LONG NUMBER OF YEARS / PARTS READILY AVAILABLE NEW OR USED / AND I BELIEVE MOST OF ALL BECAUSE THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY IN WHAT ARE ARGUABLY THE BEST PICKUPS AVER MADE. ALSO A VERY GOOD DOOMSDAY VEHICLE IF THE WORLD GOES MAD MAX.

If I couldn't have one I would have a OBS F350 4wd with a 460 and a 5-speed or a Super Duty F350 with a 7.3 and a 6-speed.

Banks7.3IDI

sling'r sidewayss
Reaction score
I love my IDI for it's reliability, and lack of computers. Have a problem? trace it mechanically with logic and common sense and fix it with your own two hands, not a computer.

If I had to choose for gassers I'd have one of my friends two trucks,
1990 F-150 [I'd want supercab] Longbed, 4x4, T18 4spd, 300I6. Gutsy little SOB
1990 Chevy 1500 4x4 with a 350. His has a 350 in it too...with 311,000miles and still no rebuild...and it's never babied!

As for diesel?
1st Gen Cumminsss!

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
We all know why we drive these old IDI's. SIMPLE / RELIABLE / AFFORDABLE / EFFICIENT / RUN FOREVER AND ON A VARIETY OF FUELS / PRODUCED FOR A LONG NUMBER OF YEARS / PARTS READILY AVAILABLE NEW OR USED / AND I BELIEVE MOST OF ALL BECAUSE THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY IN WHAT ARE ARGUABLY THE BEST PICKUPS AVER MADE. ALSO A VERY GOOD DOOMSDAY VEHICLE IF THE WORLD GOES MAD MAX.

Yep,

what he said.

Last edited:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I bought my 86 because my GMC Jimmy wasn't cutting it, I needed a pickup for my work at the time, and the 86 was the deal that came along. I eventually sold it because I needed a one ton and a crew cab, and my 5.8 was the affordable deal at the time.

DragRag

Reaction score
how about AR15, F350 IDI, WMO?
:sly

Ya that works to, I just really like the .308 round on the AR10. I'm thinking seriously about getting an AR15 to though. The AR10 beats up my shoulder after about 125 rounds of consistent shooting. The 15 I can shoot all day without issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online

No members online now.