Why Do We Drive A Ford IDI

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have ofetn wondered if there was or is a reason for driving these rigs. Attempting to compare them to the Chevy or GMC rigs is about all there is. So lets look... Our trucks are the only rigs with the idi engines. None of the big three tried this. Both GMC (gay mans chevy:eek:LOL) and chevy did well with the 6.2 and 6.5 engines but they didn't have a complete gear drive injection pump or piston cooling jets. They also were low on power but stayed together forever. I think they were kinda leaky too. We have an engine that built a tuff as Dads wingtips plus they have just as much soul too. But not as much soul as grandads shoes... What would you drive if you weren't driving the idi Firds... For me it would be an 86 chevy extra cab dually with a 454 and turbo hydro 400 trans slammed to the ground. Black outside with beige interior. That would be my cruizer and thats all. Garaged too.. What would you drive.... And no ricer cars with the wizz bang mouse farting in a saki can exhaust... We have a soot bath for you with no waiting....:angel:

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive mine because I love old work trucks, love the body style of the ford has a way better intiror holds up better. Also the idi I'm not sure I don't have anything against the Chevy I would drive one or own it the 1500 4x4 6.2 would be a sweet runner around town no other use but that with the banks kit. But I would prefer my idi for a main truck just somthing about the whole thing inside and out. Also if I wasn't in my idi in with you on some of it Gary I would drive a 90 dodge cummins ext. dually 2wd lowered black 5sp gv. Possibly the 97 in a sc. I have really been thinking of buying a sc dually somthing about the way they look short nose short stance an a fat rear!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I have grown to love these IDIs. I've only been into them for about 4 years; got interested for the WVO capability. Sometimes I miss my old Dakota though...that was a tough-a$$ little truck. I sold it to buy my first IDI, and it's still driving around town...and I know the guy I sold it to, he has NEVER even changed the oil or done anything maintenance-wise to it...but it's still chugging away. That 3.9 Magnum is just about the toughest gasser I've ever seen. Maybe one day I'll buy it back from him when the engine FINALLY dies...and put a 4BT in it...:sly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets see now. I've got a PSD "Power Squirting Diesel" love to drive it, the 90 IDI NA "I Don't Inject" much fuel, loud little ******* with dual exhaust, then there is the 92 IDIT "I Don't ? ?", crank it up, spin the dually wheels with the GV, just seems more comfortable to drive than the other two, better fuel mileage. PSD is tore down now for new rebuilt injectors $1325, new UVCH gaskets $114, new injector brass seats and tool to install them $460. Total $1899, just a wee bit more than IDI injectors.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
id prolly still be driving my baby, but it would have a diesel and tons

You must be registered for see images attach

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Well, the crew cab is a must, long bed is a must, 4x4 is a must, 5 speed is a preference. I the IDI just ties it together and its about the vintage I can afford. I could not afford one repair on a 6.4 let alone the payments. If the IDI was not there I would probably have taken a dent side crew cab and stuffed a D60 under the front and a Screamin' Jimmy under the hood.

If factory options were regarded, I'd probably still be driving an FE 390 in a dent side with an econo box to help sip on fuel.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Both GMC (gay mans chevy:eek:LOL) and chevy did well with the 6.2 and 6.5 engines but they didn't have a complete gear drive injection pump or piston cooling jets. They also were low on power but stayed together forever. I think they were kinda leaky too. :[/QUOTE]

mmmm, NO!! the years of the 6.2, were plagued with problems form the start,,bad head bolts, cracking pistons, cracking heads..and trans dumping.. friend bought one new,,and had MANY problems with it,,thought he had a lemon,,and traded it.. NOPE,, they were a piece of junk. bought anther new,,and just about the same story. when he tried the bbb,,they told him,,most of their support money at that time,,came from,,guess who.. he got rid of the second piece of junk,,and went dodge diesel..and if you owend one of the 6.5's,,that was another hummer..hardcore chevy friend of mine,,that runs a diesel repair,,and pump injection shop,,said ALLLL 6'5's,,are notorious,,for busting out at the main webs,,at around 135,000 or so miles.. and he said the gm shortblocks,,werent one bit better.....gm,, NEVER learned any lessons.. even with the izusu,,when it first came out,,was plagued with problems,,for close to two years running,,and the allisons werent much better......

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the Chevies, In 90 the SIL had a Chevy Olds Dealership, I wanted a Diesel pickup, he said, you don't want one of those, never would say why, the damn gasser wasn't much better, heated up towing, new towing rad, trans fluid blowin out the dip stick, one hell of a fire underhood, all new wiring, did it again, new engine, sold the damn thing, and bought a Ford. Got lot's of bad mouth from my Ford buddies cause I was driving a Chebbie.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I love the idi for simplicity, same reason I love the body styles it came in. Leaky injector? Gimme a bit, I have a spare. Try that on a powerstroke. I like the fact that I can change my shift harshness in a matter of minutes with a multimeter and simple hand tools. I love that when I go somewhere people don't know if I have a lopey turbo'd 390 or a fubared t444e.

Oh, and I drive Fords, know your loyalties.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a creature of habit. My '92 feels like a comfortable pair of shoes. I know what I have, what I'm getting into and how things are. I'm still mulling over the words for my recap of the CA-MI-OK-TX-CA run this summer, so I don't have much the say yet......Actually I do. I did get a fair amount of strange looks due to the fact most of the long distance traveling vehicles on the interstate was less at least half the age of my truck. unlike it's brethren of the same age, mime sounded like it was running on all 8 holes. there was many rural fuel stops that other diesels pulling in, many of the trucks were is pathetically poor running condition. Our paint jobs matched, and imho that was my camouflage for keeping a low profile.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 93. I always wanted an OBS F350 diesel. Thought it would be the early PSD. Got the IDI w/Banks instead and have loved every minute of it.
If I could drive something else it would still be a Ford. 1997 CCSB F350. With a Cummins engine and an Allison tranny. We use that combo in almost every bus we build and it is a good combo. I know I could buy a Dodge with the Cummins or a GM truck with the Allison, but I love Fords.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Both GMC (gay mans chevy:eek:LOL) and chevy did well with the 6.2 and 6.5 engines but they didn't have a complete gear drive injection pump or piston cooling jets. They also were low on power but stayed together forever. I think they were kinda leaky too. :

mmmm, NO!! the years of the 6.2, were plagued with problems form the start,,bad head bolts, cracking pistons, cracking heads..and trans dumping.. friend bought one new,,and had MANY problems with it,,thought he had a lemon,,and traded it.. NOPE,, they were a piece of junk. bought anther new,,and just about the same story. when he tried the bbb,,they told him,,most of their support money at that time,,came from,,guess who.. he got rid of the second piece of junk,,and went dodge diesel..and if you owend one of the 6.5's,,that was another hummer..hardcore chevy friend of mine,,that runs a diesel repair,,and pump injection shop,,said ALLLL 6'5's,,are notorious,,for busting out at the main webs,,at around 135,000 or so miles.. and he said the gm shortblocks,,werent one bit better.....gm,, NEVER learned any lessons.. even with the izusu,,when it first came out,,was plagued with problems,,for close to two years running,,and the allisons werent much better......[/QUOTE]

my 98 gmc mini bus has 243000 miles on it. stock engine. never had headgaskets or even injectors. has had 3 injection pumps. but she fires right up and doesnt leak a drop of oil.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem with my GM IDI's. None of them have given me any problems that werent warrented. My 95 DOES have a GM Crate engine and that has 200K on it, My 94 has never had the long block out, just a couple rear main seals and injector pumps but it has 350K HARD miles (owned since new), the 93 got new heads ~1995 (casting date on the heads) and never has been touched since, the 82 well i have its history from a friends family and I cant list all the miles its had but 400K on the current engine.

If I had to give up my IDI's then I am pretty happy with my Dmax or would drive a 6.0 Furd (good engine with factory setup issues not unlike a 6.5L). If I gave up on diesel I would want an 87-95 TBI Chevy 383 stroker NV4500 tranny 4x4 3500 Single cab SRW (one of the square body TBI's would be perfect)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online