Why Do We Drive A Ford IDI

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I drive an IDI out of luck and budget. I needed a truck for my move from Cali to Vegas. Did some math, and it needed to be a 3/4 ton or better. It was a 700+ mile drive, so I wanted a diesel. It had to be a ford, because well... I have done things to fords... and the oval has never let me down. Ever.
A few weeks of looking, and some guy is selling off a one owner 87 ex cab long bed. It's rough, and dirty, but only $650. It was a farm truck for 24 years. But it ran, and ran well. Then, well then, I did things to it too. Including lighting it on FIRE. But you know what? She's still in my driveway, lights off on three cranks, and just hauled home a 5k trailer. What I've done to this truck, would have killed a normal one.

If it weren't an IDI, I would likely be driving a FE powered 3/4 ton. I do miss my 83 Ranger tho, that truck was nothing short of amazing.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If not for my IDI, my second choice would be a 1st or 2nd generation Cummins. Right now I am setting up to burn WMO, so its about to get real cheap for fuel. I love the fuel diversity of the IDI engine design.
I already owned a 1 ton dually chevy 454... not going back to gas- unless I build a bio-mass fueled truck, but that looks like real work!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 dooms days mechaine I wish mine was 4x4 if that was to happen but I can still make it a bunch of places an yes fuel will be at every stop almost anywhere you look. Lol I don't drive it waiting for that day it's just a bonus lol.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally bought my truck 3 years ago this October. I bought it to replace my grand cherokee that i was using to haul stuff. I was looking to pay off all of my debts. Selling the jeep was just one of many steps. I really liked my cherokee but it was not suited to pull a 16' enclosed trailer that is 3.5-4k empty....let's be honest with ourselves. After i load the trailer up with cargo, it is probably 7k and that doesn't include the passengers and cargo in the jeep.

The truck starts everyday, it runs great. i have had no problems with it other than catching up on general maintenance. I use it to work on a daily basis. When I make money with something it is really easy to justify putting more money into it and that is what i have done.

The truck just stuck around and now i use it everyday for private contracting. It is simple as a hammer. It just works. I never intended to keep it as long as i did or like it as much as i do, but that green beast has grown on me. All i really need to do now is buy some shocks, fix the glow plugs and it'll be right up there with my 94 corolla in dependability. Of course that is not where i will stop with the upgrades.:sly

Once i get the last few mechanical things worked out, (gotta fix the fuel pickup tubes) i'll probably get the interior redone. (gut it, new radio & speakers in the doors and a couple of 6x9's behind the seats, new upholstered seat, a couple speaker boxes behind the seat, insulate the interior with some of that stick on stuff from lowes/home depot, new headliner and maybe a real dome light). Then i'll really like that truck. Then if i paint it, oh man.........

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
I got mine for burning WMO. Thanks to the site I learned its hard to find a more forgiving setup for exotic fuel cocktails. It certainly doesn't hurt that I think it's the best looking body style on the road today.

It's hard to pass up .30 a gallon fuel these days!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Started learning what wrenching I know back in the late 70s, when swirl chambers ruled the road.

This van has cost HUGE $ to get it reliable at a stock level, but I have learned a lot, mostly from all of you on here. The '92 blended the current body with the N/A 7.3. Most body parts stayed the same until 2008, many until the last 2012 off the line in Lorain. (Es end with 2012 model year, BTW. Doubting the americanized Ford Transit will suit the E350 and E450 market...)

Total fave of the few vehicles I've owned. And I SO love the "what's-wrong-with-your-engine" looks at stoplights. Those looks alone make it all worth it to me! LOL

DragRag

Reaction score
We drive these trucks because we are a bunch of self loathing fools that love poorly powered, cheap to maintain, American iron that is dreadfully cheap to maintain, and will burn just about any rubbish you poor in its tank. I like mine because it looks good to though, can't say the same about all I them though.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I drive my IDI's cause their cheap to maintain, sound awesome at the engine end, and the exhaust end. And because they are simple engines, they can be swapped in almost anything a big V8 gas engine would fit in.

But if I didn't have them, I would have a 70's shorty ******* wagon van, with a 4 speed on the floor, and for a truck, a 1975 F350 Super Camper special with a 460 NP435, tu tone tan/brown with a brown interior, Ranger Lariat trim with an 8 track stereo, aluminum running boards with lights from the front all the way to the back, light bar underneath both bumpers, cab lights, an old camper cap with lights everywhere on that to, and a clear brown straight up bug deflector with some stick on chrome ladys on it, rookie bars and old Ford the Best Never Rest mudflaps ;Sweet

And a 75-78 Lincoln Continental or Mercury Marquis of the same years, with a 460, green with a green interior, and totally basic, no option but cruise control :D

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I drive my bircknose IDI because I always liked the bricknose and I always liked the 7.3 diesel. Since I was a kid. Now I have exactly the truck I want (aside from it being auto) and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. If the motor takes a dump, I'll just put another one in it. Otherwise, if I had more of a disposable income, I would probably have a 2005 Dodge 3500 Laramie quad LB Cummins 6-spd, in the inferno red color with the 2-tone black/suede leather interior. That is one killer truck right there.

Portuga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 94 is my second idi. Got it mainly because i missed my 93 n/a, 5sp. That truck was a beast, 405k on the clock when i got rid of it, for no reason.
3 years went by, and i found the 94 stuck in a storage unit, with no wiring, so i traded an old jaguar i had for it and brought it home.

I love the simplicity of the engine, its my favorite body style truck, and suits all my needs. If i didnt have this truck, i would be on a 02 Caddy Escalade ext with the 6.0 vortec. Had one a few years ago (suv version), and pulled just about anything with it. Work trailer, logs, cars, etc, and never let me down neither.

But ill be keeping this idi for a long time. Engine just turned 180k this week. this thing isint even broke in!!

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been driving early Mercedes diesels (early 80's) for some time and enjoy their robust engineering and longevity. I had a Cummins 12 valve 4x that ran great and later yearned for a van. Well, I just bought a '94 IDI E350 with 158,000 miles and after a little servicing drove it from Phoenix back to the Bay Area and it ran cool and even better with the Italian tune up and diesel clean and a little ATF. My initial reaction was what a piece of ***** as I found some of the Ford stuff to be challenging and have to say the van has some tight working conditions under the hood but overall, I think it will grow on me and in time, home to convert it to a sportsmobile 4x set up with a ujointoffroad kit. So far so good,its growing on me and I prefer simplicity to complex designs and the fact that I can run this beast on many fuel types helps -my two cents!