Why are D60's in such high demand??

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
:shocked: Any Dana 60 front axle under $1250 literally sells in less than 24 hours on CL. I know TTB front ends suck, but I can't imagine that's the only folks buying up all these axles at such large prices

So group, fill me in on where all these D60's are going

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
even the stupid doooty axles get snatched up quick. i know some ranger guys down in the MIA that want the 60 front to do a SAS on their truck.

Or people like us that want to ditch the ttb or do a 4wd swap?:dunno

btw i paid 1K for my diesel, 5spd, dana 60 truck. The only reason why i paid so much was because i knew someone else would grab it if i didnt or i even tried to haggle.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
lots of off-roaders use them on anything light-duty... and kingpin 60s from our trucks are pretty much the most desirable model

they are about the strongest steering axle you can get without going to 2.5 ton rockwells

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Up here in the northwest, I see Dana 60's go for more than whole running IDI's. I guess I need to start buying up cheap 4x4 F350's just for the front axle

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother bought a bricknose 4x4 F350 IDI for $1500 last fall...it had a flatbed on it, he took the flatbed off, chopped the frame put on a short box, and pulled out the 7.3 (one of his friends wanted it) so he could put in a 429. Oh well...

Funny thing is now he's talking about using it as a farm truck. I told him I want the Dana 60 if he ever gets rid of it. haha

But yeah I see Dana 60's going for generally $1000-1250 around here. I know TTB's aren't great but geez I rebuilt almost the whole thing on mine for about half that...

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
lots of off-roaders use them on anything light-duty... and kingpin 60s from our trucks are pretty much the most desirable model

they are about the strongest steering axle you can get without going to 2.5 ton rockwells

allllmost :sly The Chev D60 is a bit stronger but the ford is desired because of the high pinion. the draw back of the ford 60 is that they tend to brake the tubes out of the case :eek:

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience, I bought one for my GMC (when I was single and could pay for it). I bought it because it was THE last thing I needed for my truck to make it bulletproof. I paid over $1000 for it, and then had to get SRW hubs for it, new brakes, wheel bearings, Lock Right, and then, of course, I needed to re ratio the rear to match the front. Oh, needed crossover steering and Warn Premium hubs too!

With all that said and done, I could have left the 10 bolt that was in the front of the truck and it would probably have been just fine for what I have put it through. BUT I have bragging rights - which will not do much for me in the real world.

Long story short - High demand because they are super strong and there are a select few that need them, but a lot of the people (more like most of them) like me, do not need it and throw money at it for the bragging rights.

Oh well, lesson learned.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i grab every D60 i can get my hands on.sell them for 800.00 and they dont last more than a week at that price.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
...and kingpin 60s from our trucks are pretty much the most desirable model...

Hit the nail on the head there... That's the reason I keep harassing the owner of the local scrap yard about the ones sitting at the back of his yard.:D

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
f250 dually? was a conversion then. could be any. lol

now if it was a f350 then good possibility it is a d60 kingpin.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just sold one to a kid to put under his Jeep with a 4 link. The offroad or truck pulling community is where most of them end up around here. A good money maker to buy and re-sell if you find them right.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
It seems like the prices are starting to come back to earth around here. Its like guys have been hoarding them for some future project or something, but now they need the cash.

I know where three are right now under $800 and one that is $600 that I should probably snag before I regret it.:dunno