Whooshing Sound Revisited

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I've asked about this before when I installed the Tymar & was told it was normal but is there any way to get rid of it? I pulled the 5'er down to VA coast for Memorial Day weekend & when the truck is running in OD it's like being in an airliner. Gets annoying after a while.

I also noticed that under harder acceleration the whoosing became a "stutter" until I lightened up on the loud pedal. Is this a turbo sypmtom I'm hearing though the intake?

We're going down to Myrtle beach at the end of the month & I'd like to cure this if it's curable before then. Anyone?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much boost are you running when you hear the stutter? Have you gone to the Wicked Wheel yet?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cure is to take all of your mods off the truck and send them to me:D

Scott I really don't know what to make of this.

I havn't never pulled anything heavy yet with it but I have a high pitched turbo whine from the intake but my turbo signature in the exhaust note is choppy, I think simply due to the exhaust pulses from the engine. I noticed when GEO left here the other day his truck sounds about the same as mine.

You're welcome to take mine for a spin to compare the noise levels if you like when you are passing through. With the exeption of the Tymar, strait pipe and banks wheel everything else is stock. I don't have a 5th wheel but do have a GN if you are running an adaptor if you want to try it loaded.

Just don't rip my tranny out:kick: ..........:oops: :sorry: :angel:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
How much boost are you running when you hear the stutter? Have you gone to the Wicked Wheel yet?

Not 100% sure on the boost number because I didn't think to look but It's hard acceleration so I'll say low 20's.

I haven't done the wicked wheel thing. What's that? Sorry still learning.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure on the boost number because I didn't think to look but It's hard acceleration so I'll say low 20's.

I haven't done the wicked wheel thing. What's that? Sorry still learning.

I can only take WAG's here but........ I am guessing that you are getting the stutter at approx 25 psi, which is about where the SD's waste gate kicks in at and also where the SD's stock compressor wheel likes to go into stall or surge at, the WW is nothing more than the original wheel design out of the old PSD's (pre-99), its a little more aggressive and not really prone to surge like the SD's do.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go about 1/3rd the way down the page and you'll see it labled BDP anti-surge wheel

Others call it the wicked wheel, banks wheel and a few other names...Like Mike said it's basicly the OBS PSD compressor wheel.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
SD turbo has a nasty habit of surging, will do it anywhere from 14 - 22 psi
has nuting to do with the wastegate.
best fix is ATS housing, opens the hole up some plus has relief for the surge.
2nd best is A WW.
been there done that, put the ATS on the 00, and loved it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
SD turbos are just noisy. the turbo is right behind the dash as you know and you hear it way more than on an OBS. i agree it can be annoying. i understand the early '99 which i have is the noisiest of them all.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
With my early 99 I thought all these guys were whiners about the turbo surge and didn't know what hell they were talking about.....

That was until I got my 2002... The surge sound kind of reminds me of an exhaust leak... it is this strange flutter..... I did the WW mainly because of cost... It took a couple hours to install... mainly because I didn't wait long enough for the motor to cool down... pretty easy to do though....

But when under a load the surge is still there... I guess the ATS housing is the way to go but I would rather spend a couple extra and go with a BB later on... But with most of my driving being around town without the trailer, the WW fixed it enough so that it wasn't driving me crazy.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you aint gonna get rid of the whiney noise unless you get rid of the tymar.its your turbo doing what its supposed to do.the stutter will probably go away with the older wheel or wicked wheel.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Got a wheel coming from BDP. Pretty cheap I thought. Do all aftermarket intakes make that whoosing sound

JRJ04

Reaction score
I would say so because you are letting more air in and the air intake is no longer sealed off in a box so to speak. You go from having air coming in on a flat surface to a 360 degree air intake

JRJ04

Reaction score
In regards to turbo surge....I've noticed that when it gets hot outside my truck tends to really lag and be less responsive. I really have to get on it to get it moving. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Usually the hotter it gets the less dense the air is ...thus less air getting into the motor resulting in less power... Someonw else may have a more scientific and detailed explanation than this but in a nut shell that really sums it up.

I don't notice as much of a power loss on dry days... I notice what your talking about on days when the humidity is up more than on just hot days...

Just Yesterday it was 112° and it still ran like a stripped ape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance