Who switched to electric fuel pump?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember reading some of you guyd switched to an electric pump and blocked off the stock lift pump.

What pumps pumps work well?

Thanks,

-Rob

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Holley blue with some failures, Facet Duralift (I can supply) with some failures, Carter??, some off brands with some failures. Lots out there and their durability seems to depend on what you're making them pump and the location of the pump. Under the hood doesn't seem to work as well as down on the frame. I have my Facet next to the radiator, but I'm adding another one down by the selector valve.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I've got a Dura-lift and like the clear bowl with the screen that keeps the grit out of the pump.

They seem to do real good with Diesel, which is all I run really, but they all seem to fail if they are ran on the alternative fuels eventually. For that they make some real expensive alternatives.

Some will say that the Dura-lift is too high on pressure and will affect the timing without a regulator. I've only seen one guy that based his conclusion on a real life test with a timing meter hooked up and he reported no change in timing with it at full or limited pressure.

You can use a big block Chevy block off plate to cover the whole.;Sweet

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I run the Dura-lift also. My failure last year, was self-inflicted. I was pumping WMO through it, which was way too thick. The new Dura-lift has been working flawlessly!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Holly red in the 85. Last time I moved it the pump was making some funky noises.:eek:

The 90 has a Duralift pump. Works like a champ.:thumbsup:

jasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got about 2000 miles on a Walbro FRB-5 running mostly WVO. I fully expect it to fail sometime around 30,000 miles from what I've been reeding. It is cheap ($100) and easy to replace where I installed it so I just carry a spare with me, just in case. Not the best pump, but I wasn't willing to pay $500 for a WVO rated pump when it is on an RV that I will drive under 10,000 miles per year.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
9 months trouble free so far on a $100 Holley Red mounted on the frame. It's fairly close to the selector valve with the pump proper sitting even with the bottom of the tank.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carter P4070, been on the truck since 05, and I can't remember if I bought a new one, or stuck one I had laying around on there. The things just plain work, no brushes, no shaft seals, nothing of that sort... It's a wet permanent magnet motor so they pretty much last forever as long as you run clean fuel through them.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run carter for the same reason

You must be registered for see images attach

I use a prefilter to keep junk out of it.
I still take a spare when I'm out in the boonies though. You never Know.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'll let you know what mine is whenever I manage to clean all the crap off of it LOL

it was installed by the PO and since it was a farm truck, it has a good 1/2" of crud built up on it that a pressure washer and Engine Brite don't even come close to touching....

oh yeah, I still have the mechanical pump in place and disconnected, I keep an extra oil change in the truck and have a BBC block off plate, I know it's probably a bad idea, but I'm just curious how long it will last before blowing out with no lubrication, if it's still not leaking any oil by the next oil change I'll remove it then, but it's still holding up and I've put on 10k miles since I got the truck in Feb (plus whatever the PO had on it like that)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the face duralift from thermoking. Gen Lightning has a good deal on them, but I couldn't wait. I do not run fuel cocktails and only biodiesel of near ASTM spec quality or pump diesel or some blend of the two. As far as I can tell, the Napa diesel electric universal pump I had on before was basically a cheaper version of this pump without the see through glass sediment bowl. It never failed, but I lost the diaphragm when I was cleaning the pump after having a big fuel quality issue. A non replaceable part so the pump is junk. This is why I had to buy it's replacement in a hurry. I had the NAPA pump for over a year and ran some sketchy fuel through it at times with no complaints from it. Nothing is forever but I fully expect that duralift pump to be on the truck for a LONG time...unless I do something stupid.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And yes you should use the mechanical blockoff plate from the GM 454 V8. Fits like a glove. Might want to use some rtv or a gasket if it comes with it. You can develop a nasty oil leak there.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. So most electric pumps push better than pull so put it on the frame near the tank. I'll probably just make a block off plate out of aluminum.

Just curious, how well does the stock lift pump handle veggie oil?

thanks for all the good info

-Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.