White smoke under load.

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
Just picked up a 99' PSD that is bone stock. Truck runs awesome, gets great mileage. injectors and cups done 5k ago with receipts. My wife was following my last night and said it was blowing smoke so I had her drive and followed her and sure enough; it's definitely white smoking under load and at cruise. It's not a ridiculous amount like a BHG but it's there. Coolant looks good, passes oil cap test, boosts fine. It doesn't smoke at all at idle, and in park if you rev it she black smokes a little but no white smoke. Any ideas?

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
I would pull the downpipe loose from the turbo and look for oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Turbo seals? It's pure white smoke, not blue and does not smell like oil, raw fuel, or coolant...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can't apply much gasser knowledge to a diesel. These things can burn oil as a fuel and you'd never know the difference.
But yes, I'm thinking turbo seals.

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
Can't apply much gasser knowledge to a diesel. These things can burn oil as a fuel and you'd never know the difference.
But yes, I'm thinking turbo seals.

That's true. I'm a very experienced gasser guy, but have never really had to do a whole lot to my other diesels as far as diagnostics go...I think the most I've had to do was pull my ZF-5 from my IDI to do the stupid freeze plug behind the flywheel. I'll pull the DP tomorrow and check for oil as well as the inlet and check for shaft play while I'm at it. I'd rather rebuild the turbo myself if it's cost effective enough.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It can be done. There's "upgrade" rebuild kits with a better thrust bearing.
Other then that, maybe a junk Injector.

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
It can be done. There's "upgrade" rebuild kits with a better thrust bearing.
Other then that, maybe a junk Injector.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. I'm going to run by my buddies shop tomorrow and see if I can test the injectors if there's no oil hemmoring. How much oil is too much?

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
Well if it's out the exhaust, basically any at all is unacceptable.

Ok cool. I'll investigate and report back. Thanks for the help.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is an injector. Do you know anybody that has autoenginuity? A contribution test is an easy way to start off checking before you get underneath the valve covers. If its bone stock, it can also be a valve cover harness.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an AE. I have never paid too much attention to the contribution test. I use it mainly for the code reader.

Dave

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
Found today the coolant is a little lower than I'd like. Injectors seem fine via scanner and NO oil from the turbo. I'm thinking o-rings or cups?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of scanner did you use? What were your numbers? Although you'll see mention of orings and cups all over the internet, it's pretty rare(compared to injectors). Ae will almost always point you to the right injector, not sure why the other fellow doesn't use it very much. In all my work that I've done on them, I found it to be an invaluable tool.

If it smokes mostly under load, my guess is still injector.....been wrong before though.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Found today the coolant is a little lower than I'd like. Injectors seem fine via scanner and NO oil from the turbo. I'm thinking o-rings or cups?

You will find fuel in your coolant if a cup is cracked. Coolant wont go into the injector bores because of fuel pressure.