White Lightning

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
tuckerd1 said:
freighttrain,

I'm about 1.5-2 hrs north of you. I'll have to come down to Gadsden to see your project when you get it going good.

Don

Roger that.Just drop a PM when your gonna be down this way.Both my "Projects" are about 15 miles south at a buddy shop(you know where Gibbs Tractor is on 431?They are about 1/2 mile down the road behind it).Right now the Enterprise is functional and gonna stay that way till I am ready to drop in the new engine.Gonna build another engine and just pull the old one out drop the new one in all in one sitting.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
Roger that.Just drop a PM when your gonna be down this way.Both my "Projects" are about 15 miles south at a buddy shop(you know where Gibbs Tractor is on 431?They are about 1/2 mile down the road behind it).Right now the Enterprise is functional and gonna stay that way till I am ready to drop in the new engine.Gonna build another engine and just pull the old one out drop the new one in all in one sitting.

You got access to a good buildable 'cheap" 93-94 engines. I thought doing a buildup for when I wearout the current IDI. I have driven by there many times but cant place Gibbs at the moment.

Don

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:

Freight,

I talked to Ford-Cummins today. Some mods needed to get the Cummins into the truck... no BIG deal, but money spent nonetheless. Their labor, total cost was about $15,000.

Ummm... Not no, but something pretty close...

Ken at DPS can build up an IDI for 300hp TO THE GROUND, which is probably adequate for my needs. I might not be so gung-ho about the Cummins after all, given the mods needed to the truck. Dash indicators wouldn't work anymore (not necessarily a big deal, but for $15,000 I'd want a "seamless" transition and would expect all my indicators to work). 300hp and whatever torque would be good for high 13's to low 14's at the track, according to Ken's experience. Not bad for a 7,000 pound truck.

Ken said more performance is available. Of course, I'm trying to keep my truck on the road for at least another 200,000 miles. Mainly need strong towing power so my rebuild would concentrate on that.

Just a thought.

Mike

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
For 15,000 I think I would rather have a better rebuilt IDI and suffer with traveling abit slow. For 15,000 dollars that will buy a decent PSD or a Goat Boy truck.

Like I have meantioned before sometimes is time to let something go and quit -Deadhorse

Sure Dodges are not as nice as a Ford but if your really got your sights set on Cummins power buy a Dodge 1 ton dually.

Take for example Goat Boy Travis I bet he has saved money since he bought a newer truck and tons of headaches have gone away.

A PSD is no voodoo machine look at how many are out there if they were that bad why do they use them for ambulances LOL

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
For 15,000 I think I would rather have a better rebuilt IDI and suffer with traveling abit slow. For 15,000 dollars that will buy a decent PSD or a Goat Boy truck.

Like I have meantioned before sometimes is time to let something go and quit -Deadhorse

Sure Dodges are not as nice as a Ford but if your really got your sights set on Cummins power buy a Dodge 1 ton dually.

Take for example Goat Boy Travis I bet he has saved money since he bought a newer truck and tons of headaches have gone away.

A PSD is no voodoo machine look at how many are out there if they were that bad why do they use them for ambulances LOL

True... Of course, with a BTS in my truck, new brakes, new front end, and a clean body/frame... it doesn't make too much sense to sell it for less than I have in it at this point. Need to get some miles out of my investment. Besides, I really do like these trucks--they looks like... well... trucks. :)

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm.... after reading this thread, I had to double check to make sure I wasn't redirected to TDR by mistake. No.... The url looks OK. :***:

Let's see. We've got two goataholics, one guy who has never been happy with anything, and 3 IDI brethren who are all encouraging young Jedi Frieightrain to betray his soul. I saw one or two posts that seemed to suggest perhaps keeping the IDI is the right thing to do, and I see a lot of big numbers flying around with 4 and 5 digits in them, all directed towards a young 20 something year old with just enough coin to rub together to buy diesel fuel. I think some of you guys should get a reality check, and start living your own fantasies instead of talking people down a road they can't possibly go. All this switching to cummins lingo is like a broken record I get tired of hearing. If it's such a great idea, why isn't everybody doing it? Huh? Huh? :draw

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! You didn't do jack! You bought another truck. That don't count! LOL

waynebo

Reaction score
Why on earth would anyone put an 8.2 detroit in or on anything but the end of a big chain for an anchor.I have worked on plenty of thows puttred,nasty disgusting "fuel pinchers" worst detroit ever made,waynebo

waynebo

Reaction score
O and the 7.3 powerstrokes,maybe in the vast see of them out there there are sure to be some that have problems,but at the power company i turned wrenches for until i became disabled a few years ago we had probally over 75 powerstroke underground vans and 50 pickups with the engine and never had an engine problem,period.Now we did break several trannies when they would get one stuck,or twist a drive shaft or break a rearend.But when you have that much torque somethings :hail gotta break when you overload the drive train,waynebo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
waynebo said:
O and the 7.3 powerstrokes,maybe in the vast see of them out there there are sure to be some that have problems,but at the power company i turned wrenches for until i became disabled a few years ago we had probally over 75 powerstroke underground vans and 50 pickups with the engine and never had an engine problem,period.Now we did break several trannies when they would get one stuck,or twist a drive shaft or break a rearend.But when you have that much torque somethings :hail gotta break when you overload the drive train,waynebo
you bring up a very good point here......
there is a HUGE difference between motors that will take a beating and keep on ticking. You will find no bigger champion for the hamster motors than I for vocational usage. They will take abuse like you have never imagined. The reason is, IH knew how much to ask from that motor and didn't mess around with the HP settings. They also knew they were getting really close to the design limits to the motor. Easy test......look at how much money you need to spend to bomb a hamster vs. a goat. If you are to make a living, IH all the way....there's a ton of them out there and if you do scatter one, replacments are realativly cheap. You wanna tickle the limits? Find that last elusive HP? Beat everything that pulls up to you are the lights? Go get a goat. but be prepared to pay accordingly when you have something go sideways on the internals. Brand loyalty? to a degree....no one make is the best of everything. but as long as it does damn well of what you ask of it, then its the best in your book.

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
you bring up a very good point here......
there is a HUGE difference between motors that will take a beating and keep on ticking. You will find no bigger champion for the hamster motors than I for vocational usage. They will take abuse like you have never imagined. The reason is, IH knew how much to ask from that motor and didn't mess around with the HP settings. They also knew they were getting really close to the design limits to the motor. Easy test......look at how much money you need to spend to bomb a hamster vs. a goat. If you are to make a living, IH all the way....there's a ton of them out there and if you do scatter one, replacments are realativly cheap. You wanna tickle the limits? Find that last elusive HP? Beat everything that pulls up to you are the lights? Go get a goat. but be prepared to pay accordingly when you have something go sideways on the internals. Brand loyalty? to a degree....no one make is the best of everything. but as long as it does damn well of what you ask of it, then its the best in your book.
Well satted Calvin, couldn't have said it better meself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes