Where's the Clutch Switch on a 92'

NMF250IDI

Reaction score
Trying to troubleshoot the cruise control on my 92'. First thing I tried to verify was that the clutch switch is operational ( as per the manual ). I can't seem to find the dang thing ! I've look all over the clutch pedal and mount. Only "switch" I see is on the brake pedal...one electrical and one looks like a vacuum switch. So....where is it ? There is a pretty suspicious looking jumper in a connector from the wiring harness...wonder if the PO just jumpered it out ?

If anybody has a picture of the location and switch I'd really appreciate it !

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a jerry rigged one to me. The stocker slips over the rod that goes from the clutch pedal through the firewall and into the clutch master cylinder. Try starting the thing in neutral with the clutch engaged. Emphasis on the neutral part. Mine will go ahead and fire up in gear and take off without throttle or anything. FWIW that vacuum switch on your brake pedal is cruise control parts as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite possible. IF someone bypassed the clutch interlock, then it will start without the pedal pressed. BUT the clutch switch itself actually has 2 sets of contacts in it. If the switch is no longer physically present, then I would look around for it. Someone may have just wire tied it up under the dash. 2 wires going to it would be tied together, while the other 2 were not.

NMF250IDI

Reaction score
Thanks!

I've always liked the fact that I didn't need to press in the clutch to start the truck. Now I know why ! Can only imagine the fun that would come out of having it start up in gear !

Just swapped out my worn out clutch linkage parts, no electrical parts found on the clutch rod.

I'll bet the jumpered connector is the one that should be connected to the missing switch. I'll trace some wires just to see what's what.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's always been a popular mod with me. I've done it to all my trucks. However, on the kids rigs I have left them alone.

NMF250IDI

Reaction score
The answer is....

Why was I looking for the clutch switch anyhow...I was trying to revive the cruise control. I was so cranked about the success I had rehabing the A/C ( thanks to all for the help ) that I figured I'd just keep going.

So the PO had jumpered the connector from the missing clutch switch, but only jumpered half . After some wire tracing and staring at the schematic...putting a jumper across the other half got my cruise working again ! It also took a good cleaning of the rotating contacts behind the steering wheel .

I'll probably replace the clutch switch at some point...but I don't have a clue how it mounts, so this story may continue.