Where's a good place to get a pyrometer?

autotech84601

Reaction score
I've searched through the forum and people like isspro and a couple others, but where is a good place to buy one? My truck is turboed with an Ats 088 and I found the left overs of a pyrometer under the hood. It was hooked into the hot side of the turbo housing but was replaced with a plug. I plan on installing in the manifold between cyl 6 and 8. Any help would be appreciated.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey just gonna throw this out. If you want a combo boost & pyro the Hypermax setup is pretty sweet. It comes with an aluminum cup for mounting and everything else you need. Kinda spendy but if you're gonna buy em separate you probably would be getting close to the same money.

I mounted mine under the dash by the tcase lever. I like it so far.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Got my Factory style Isspro Pyro from Mel, excellent service and most importantly FAIR price

Go on Isspros website find the guage you want, and get in contact with him about it. Thats what I did, would recommend

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We appreciate the support everyone. Yes, the EV2 pyrometer is the best for our use. Not everyone is aware, but Isspro is the only company that claims to feature cab temperature compensation for their pyrometer. This means it is accurate all the time, regardless if the in-cab temperature is -20 or 120. A complete kit including the gauge, probe and wire is about $200. Cheap insurance, and a solid investment.

autotech84601

Reaction score
Now that I know where to go, the last bit of info I require before I make a purchase is at what temp would be considered redline for the exhaust temp? Trying to decide between color coded gauges....

gandalf

Reaction score
Now that I know where to go, the last bit of info I require before I make a purchase is at what temp would be considered redline for the exhaust temp? Trying to decide between color coded gauges....

Going from memory here, which might be an issue. Wait for confirmation.

The greatest danger of the heat and high temps is, of course, to the engine. Aluminum starts to melt at ~1300°F. The pistons are at risk then. Therefore my absolute max is 1250°F. I try not to ever go even that high. Others have claimed to run a sustained temp higher than 1300°F, but they are few and far between. I wouldn't do it.

The other factor, which you have not yet asked about, is placement of the probe. Since the danger point is the engine cylinder(s), you would want to measure as close as possible to the engine. The further you go from the heat source the cooler the exhaust gasses will be. You must compensate for that fact. Some people drill and tap the exhaust manifold between cylinders 6 and 8. You can't get any closer than that. Personally I have my pyrometer probe poking into the exhaust downpipe just below the manifold flange on the driver's side.

Before you drill for the probe, be sure to ask here about a specific location.

autotech84601

Reaction score
I have read here in the forum about people placing them between cylinders six and eight. I do want the most accurate reading, so I think I will do here. I can remove the downpipe and shove a shop vac in the end of the manifold while drilling and tapping. Does anyone have a photo of this setup? Wondering if the thermocouple runs the risk of bottoming out? Does it go in at an angle? Thanks for the help everyone.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put mine in straight up through the bottom side of the drivers side manifold right before it curves down towards the flange. Mine came with a threaded part that screw's into the mani and the probe slides through it and you tighten a compression fitting wherever you want it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is on top tween 6-8 reads great! Now for the 93.. Its next!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online