where to start?....

mort

Reaction score
ok, so i bought a complete 1995 dodge chassis cab 12v 5spd 4wd, had a bunch of blow by! like shoots the dip stick out! :D its all tore down now, needs bored and all that good stuff. but the plan is to use it to tow my toys to the mountains and where ever else i want to go. i figure if its out i may as well build it a bit, im figuring a 4kgsp and 60lb valve springs, but dont know what fuel plate or injectors to run...... i dont want screaming hot egts!! and i hope an hx40 in the future! any input would be great!!! the sooner i get it done the sooner i get to swap all the dodge main drive train into my 84 cc ford :sly

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
key to keeping the egt's down is to have good air flow in and out. Now too big an exhaust can actually cause back pressure because you loose velocity. So keep your exhaust diameter at 4 inches as this seems to work really well. the 5 inch seems to slow the velocity down too much. I noticed it when I went to the 5inch stack in mine - wasn't too bad but did notice it. 3.5 down and half way back to 4 inch the rest of the way out the back did better.

Fuel plate - I would recommend a #10 or better - 10 is sort of mild but it's controllable. Setting up your timing to 16 degrees helps a lot with controlling the egts as well. Also when setting up your star wheel after installing the AFC spring kit, take care to set it so that it won't fuel too heavy until the boost comes on line because once you get the egts up it's hard to get them back under control. I played with mine for a while until I found the sweet spot where she would roll a little coal for a few seconds but then the turbo would lite and the exhaust would clear up.

mort

Reaction score
sweet!!! thanks for the input! i was thinking 5" exhaust, but i guess ill re think that one! when i was looking at rebuild kits some seem to push ya twords marine pistons, saying that the bowl is bigger? dont know why this would be good?? you think a number 8 plate would be to much?? and at what point should i be looking at head studs? THANKS AGAIN!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Head studs after you hit 50psi boost. but since you have her down I would just do it, just remember that with studs if you have to yank the heads (which you shouldn't) that you will have yank the engine because in the dodge chassis the fire wall will keep you from lifting the heads off - the fire wall / cowl rolls over the top of the engine.

Nah an 8 would not... you can put what ever plate you want in it even no plate just have to remember that you will have to adjust her with your foot to keep egts under control if you don't have the AFC adjusted correctly.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Head studs after you hit 50psi boost. but since you have her down I would just do it, just remember that with studs if you have to yank the heads (which you shouldn't) that you will have yank the engine because in the dodge chassis the fire wall will keep you from lifting the heads off - the fire wall / cowl rolls over the top of the engine.

Nah an 8 would not... you can put what ever plate you want in it even no plate just have to remember that you will have to adjust her with your foot to keep egts under control if you don't have the AFC adjusted correctly.

mort

Reaction score
AH! so the key to all is the AFC tuning. one last thing, Injector wise.... i was thinking just the stock 215hp ones? not a big jump from the stock 175 but still some i guess.... thanks again!!!