where to start, no start

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
random out of no where no start seems like no fuel..

i can hit it with some ether and i can tell its trying to run on only ether....

the fss is clicking on and off with the wiring on and off.. i had fuel out the valve on the filter head didnt even touch the fuel system i changed glow plug relay, and had it running after then noticed my copper rad was leaking a little so i soldered it up.. go done tried to fire it up nothing..

has new fuel filter like a week ago..

has newer lift pump(not airtex) less then a year..

with out ether it dont even shake when turning over.. it stumbles on ether but wont run on it..

suggestions for tomorrow? thanks!

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Please please please tell me you disabled the glowplugs before giving it ether..... If you get ether on a hot GP you can grenade the engine.

First, random question, are you getting white smoke when cranking?

Now, how much fuel out of the shrader valve? IIRC it should put out one pint for 10 seconds of cranking. (even if it's not an airtex, the lift pump could still have failed early)

Next, have you cracked your injector lines to make sure you are getting fuel to the injectors?

Then, after verifying both of those, soak a rag with gasoline and set it on the intake. That should at least get it to kick over until the gas runs out.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please please please tell me you disabled the glowplugs before giving it ether..... If you get ether on a hot GP you can grenade the engine.

Now, how much fuel out of the shrader valve? IIRC it should put out one pint for 10 seconds of cranking. (even if it's not an airtex, the lift pump could still have failed early)

Next, have you cracked your injector lines to make sure you are getting fuel to the injectors?

Then, after verifying both of those, soak a rag with gasoline and set it on the intake. That should at least get it to kick over until the gas runs out.

Glow plugs on manual switch so no worries I know the dangers... I didn't get much time to test yesterday before it got dark and really cold, so ill have more answers today I did have fuel at the shrader valve but I wasn't cranking and if was a light trickle.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crack ONE injector line nut at the injector, and see if you have any fuel coming out when cranking. If not, then pull the top cover on your injection pump and see if the governor rack/metering valve assembly is moving freely. If it is, then your pump is done. This is all assuming you've verified delivery to the IP.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Crack ONE injector line nut at the injector, and see if you have any fuel coming out when cranking. If not, then pull the top cover on your injection pump and see if the governor rack/metering valve assembly is moving freely. If it is, then your pump is done. This is all assuming you've verified delivery to the IP.

I'd jump right to thinking this but I have ether vacuum or pressure at the shrader valve and no fuel so looks like I'm getting no fuel I ain't tried to crank it. I got it plugs in and the the battery charger on it

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also leading me to think this is probably related to my intermittent miss and why my fuel filter was full of rocky sounding sand. When I changed the filter felt like a new truck and sound and smoothness changed a lot tho the miss would come here and there still
Prob start with pulling the filter and filling it with some ps diesel kleen

Last edited:

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea im loosing prim over night for sure.... then this after noon went to the salvage yard to pull some parts for my taurus sho and came out had to prim it again.....

im thinking maybe my new filter is leaking around the seal.. if i pull the line that comes right off the back of the filter head to the ip i get tons of air, i crank till fuel, then crank 1 injector line and crank till fuel.. then a small shot of ether and it fires up and is good till the next shut down...

my next line is gonna be getting some clear hose and checking it out.. tho figured i may find another answer to...

thanks!

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed your fuel return lines and injector caps? Those are common problems...

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed your fuel return lines and injector caps? Those are common problems...

they were changed a few years back i happen to find a cracked cap and happen to save the old ones that came off so i was able to swap it out... started 3-4 times today without much issue so i believe i have it fixed.. thanks guys!