Where to have a 7.3 IDI timed in Texas

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a new member here, I have two 1994 F-350 CC 5 speed 4x4's with the factory turbo. My main truck has the upgraded ATC exhaust housing with a 4 inch exhaust, the ATS air to air cooler, and it also has an open air filter. I of course have EGT and Pyro gauges. The problem is that the truck needs more fuel. The pump is turned up to the max. This pump was already turned up from the previous owner, I was a little mad that he did this with no pyro or cooler, etc. I also have brand new G code injectors, glow pugs, and a line kit still in the box. What I do need is a rebuilt pump, I was thinking about going with the MOOSE pump. The only problem is that there is no shop in South Texas (Harlingen area) that can time the pump properly. They just say to line up the marks. Does anybody know where I can take the truck to get timed?, or is OK to just line up the marks.

Also, with my mods and to be installed G code injectors, which Moose pump would be the best overall for a daily driver.:hail

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
FoMoCo,

Which Moose pump would depend on what you are going to do with the truck and the amount of power that you are looking for.

A Moose Pump is a "hot" pump that is a very high quality rebuild that delivers more fuel than a "maxed out" stock pump. We even have a member (icanfixall) that has a Moose Pump, and has turned it down from the settings is shipped with.

A Baby Moose Pump is a very high quality stock spec rebuild that performs very well with stock and "modified" engines. I believe that it can be "turned up" but it would not be as much fuel as a Moose Pump.

You will be very happy with either pump, it just depends on what you want the truck to do.

Also, several members here have switched to the "BB" code injectors from either typ4 (Russ) or agnem (Mel, also sell the Moose Products) and are much happier that with the G codes. The G code was spec'ed for the turbo engines to control emissions. not to say the G codes are bad, but they were designed to make the EPA happy, not necessarly to make the best performance.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just buy a Ferret for about the same price as it would cost to have it done, and with that and a regular advance type inductive automotive timing light, you can time it yourself , but do it properly, unlike most shops who would probably just "line up the marks" , or time it by ear, either one of which would be incorrect. If you are going to have the vehicle, you really need to have the tool. Even the shops that will claim to have the proper tools, when you drop it off, they will have been thinking power stroke and will be looking around for a computer plug in and when they cant find it, will just time it by ear and when you start eating glow plugs every 2 months and cant figure out why....
Even the ones that do have the proper equipment the spec from the factory was 8.5 deg + or _ 2 deg which allows them to look at it and if it's anywhere between 6.5 and 10.5 deg , they can call it good and take your money. A truck set at 6.5 running on the new fuel would barely be able to climb up a driveway.
Get the tool, set it at 9.7 deg btdc( best for the new ULSD) and have it for the next time you need to dislodge the pump for some reason ;Sweet