where to get fuel filters?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a new fuel filter in this week, the last one i had, and it got clogged immediately due to fuel gelling (i think) and had to drive home at 15 mph....and then found out that filter barn doesn't carry the ones i need any more (bf1222)
does anyone know where to get filters for a good price? i have an 89 f250.
The local parts houses wanted $45 for a new filter, which seems like a lot because i was paying less than $10.
any help greatly appreciated - i am stuck in the driveway!!!

paul

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a new fuel filter in this week, the last one i had, and it got clogged immediately due to fuel gelling (i think) and had to drive home at 15 mph....and then found out that filter barn doesn't carry the ones i need any more (bf1222)
does anyone know where to get filters for a good price? i have an 89 f250.
The local parts houses wanted $45 for a new filter, which seems like a lot because i was paying less than $10.
any help greatly appreciated - i am stuck in the driveway!!!

paul

This may be one option.
http://www.amazon.com/Wix-33417-Spin-On-Fuel-Filter/dp/B000CSIODU

Luber-finer lff5824U should work too

Black dawg

Reaction score
are you sure you have fuel pressure. At that temp, I dont think its gelling. Cut open the filter and look inside.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same as a NAPA 3417.

Aren't CarQuest filters made by Wix? They cane get it.

Or go to a heavy truck parts dept. All the ones around me carry Baldwin.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
same as a NAPA 3417.

Aren't CarQuest filters made by Wix? They cane get it.

Or go to a heavy truck parts dept. All the ones around me carry Baldwin.

Wix makes Napa filters, not Carquest, that's why the part numbers are so similar.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix makes Napa filters, not Carquest, that's why the part numbers are so similar.

Yes, I know Wix makes NAPA filters but Wix also makes filters for one of the other auto parts chain stores. I can't remember which store but it's not PepBoys, Autozone, or Advanced. I thought it was CarQuest.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a quick Google search and copied this.....

"Carquest Blue and Red filters have traditionally been Wix/Affinia made. The Blue's I've used had the Affinia logo stamped on them. Blues are akin to NAPA Gold and are very nice."

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually get them on ebay
Just got 4 wix ones shipped for $14 to my door
Azone has them behind the counter for there comercial customers. They are usa made by champ labs. Just ask for it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay under the seller named Utechcenter. Thats Uhaul selling off there idi stock. Also ebay will have them listed for your year engine too.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually get them on ebay
Just got 4 wix ones shipped for $14 to my door
Azone has them behind the counter for there comercial customers. They are usa made by champ labs. Just ask for it.

could you please provide the part # for that filter?
thanks!
paul

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you figured out what is plugging the filters yet?

Not yet! all i know is yesterday morning i tried to go to work but had to turn around and come home to borrow another ride....i literally could not go more than 5 mph for the last time and coasted into my driveway where it would stall everytime i restarted it.
THEN about 5 hours later i came back and it fired right up and seemed to at least idle just fine. i did not have time to take it on a test but i did drive up and down the long driveway a few times, and it ran way better than earlier that day.
definitely a fuel system problem but not sure what.....

thanks!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Not yet! all i know is yesterday morning i tried to go to work but had to turn around and come home to borrow another ride....i literally could not go more than 5 mph for the last time and coasted into my driveway where it would stall everytime i restarted it.
THEN about 5 hours later i came back and it fired right up and seemed to at least idle just fine. i did not have time to take it on a test but i did drive up and down the long driveway a few times, and it ran way better than earlier that day.
definitely a fuel system problem but not sure what.....

thanks!

if it had warmed up by then ( which it usually does in your area) then that sure sounds like gelling. Chances are the pump fuel in your area is not winter fuel so it is not treated in any way out of the pumps, same as here ( since our mid winter temps are about the same as the mid summer temps for the guys up north most of the time ) WHATEVER you do, DO NOT dump any of that power service 911 in unless you have a case of spare filters. You have a southern truck run on southern fuel, your tank walls are coated with paraffin along with other crud. Dumping 911 in will cut ALL of that loose at once and send it to the filter and you will be on teh side of teh road every 15-25 miles changing another filter . Get a big bottle of Howes,dose at 3 times the amount on the label ( normal amount for a pickup ) it WILL concentrate all the water that hasnt been attended to , to the bottom of the tank where it will be picked up at once, so you will need to open up your water drain on your filter every time you stop, then re prime the filter before shutting down and do thid until that tank is gone, the. refil tank treated with howes and you should be fine.

If its running ok warm, the filter isnt clogged, but there is water in there.

If all you can get is power service products, then lay in a supply of filters before you get started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle