where to get bigger exhaust

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I got my whole 4" setup from the downpipe back including the muffler and the band clamps from Truck Pro for around $150 . I just bought the straight through big truck muffler , a 10ft stick of4" and a few different bends and some of those nice band clamps ( dont use the cheap ubolts, you can't take it back apart if you do )

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose you have a sound byte of the exhaust there smooth? Clean setup btw.

Okay, here you go. Cold start, outside revving and inside revving.
It is a 92 Centurion C350 with a 94 7.3IDI with a Banks pre-sidewinder, non-wastegated turbo, three inch down pipe, to 4 inch straight pipe, to 6 inch tip. No muffler.

Click on picture to redirect to video (sorry, didn't know how to post the video). Also, for some reason, you have to click play twice to get the video and audio, wierd?!
You must be registered for see images attach

MoMo

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For everyone asking, the Walker #54387 4" tailpipe is the tailpipe that was originally in the Dynomax performance exhaust kit for the n/a IDI's.

I had that tailpipe for awhile but wasn't crazy about how it fit or where it exited.

I just have it dumped right behind the cab now. It actually sounds a lot better and it's that loud on the highway.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's what i did guys:

Custom 3.5" Single Exhaust.
1 Reducer 5" X 4" Fleetguard #89277A
1 Reducer 4" X 3.5" Fleetguard #89186A
Custom Mandrel Bent Y Pipe Flowing Though Joined
Reducers.
Flattened Sides & Welded To Make Custom Collector.
3.5" Into A Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler #17224

she likes the extra flow.more power indeed.gets up to speed even quicker,and coming back on the interstate she got up to the higher speeds easier as well.
75MPH was quick and very easy to maintain (not that it wasn't before.but even more so now.)

very BIG & DEEP tone.

You must be registered for see images

still needs to exit.

first long rev is 1k rpm.next is 1500 and then 2500k rpm and back to idle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBGHhFTwClI&feature=player_embedded

the elbow made it louder so i removed it.

i had a shop do it all.
parts and labor around 400$.

Last edited:

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Banks sidewinder down pipes are 2 7/8 inch... Just inside of 3 inch pipe and that really suxs. I had my down pipe inlarged so the newer clamp wiuld sealthe 3 to 4 inch reducer...

well thats a problem. i guess ill give ats a call and see if i can buy a downpipe by itself. seems pointless to me for me to spend 100 on a downpipe, only to have to modify it to get it to fit.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
well thats a problem. i guess ill give ats a call and see if i can buy a downpipe by itself. seems pointless to me for me to spend 100 on a downpipe, only to have to modify it to get it to fit.

If you think $100 is too much...wait until you get on the phone with ATS. Hell, even Banks wants over $200 for their downpipe last I checked. :eek:

I went a different route and bought a PSD downpipe for $100. A nice plus, I got lucky and ended up with a stainless steel pipe. It has the right curves, but lacks the exact fit for my hypermax turbo.

I took the downpipe with me to my local exhaust shop (Exhaust Pros) and had them fit it for me. They ran a single 3" straight pipe out right behind my side steps. From what I understand, anything over that size is overkill.

Pics:

It sounds great too! Not too loud thanks to the turbo, even at highway speeds. I also had them bring the pipe out far enough to where I didn't think it would turn the side of my truck black with soot. Seems to have worked well so far. ;Sweet

Winter start videos to come, along with a little driving video if I can get my side-mount tripod system to work right.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I have been considering is putting a new downpipe on and just running the minimal amount of exhaust to get it to the side of the truck. I have a crewcab but not sure if I exited behind the front tire or the rear of the cab would work as far as soot. I could just run the truck lean, it pretty well does last I ran it. I was thinking about turning it up some more though. I am only leary of when I pull a trailer and maybe lugging it up some hills. I would hate to have soot all over the side of the bed. I don't see any soot on the side of your truck though and it looks good. Makes for a pretty cheap exhaust setup also.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Thats what I have been considering is putting a new downpipe on and just running the minimal amount of exhaust to get it to the side of the truck. I have a crewcab but not sure if I exited behind the front tire or the rear of the cab would work as far as soot. I could just run the truck lean, it pretty well does last I ran it. I was thinking about turning it up some more though. I am only leary of when I pull a trailer and maybe lugging it up some hills. I would hate to have soot all over the side of the bed. I don't see any soot on the side of your truck though and it looks good. Makes for a pretty cheap exhaust setup also.

Those were my thoughts when I took it into the shop to have them put it all in. Running it all the way to the back just seems to add more cost and restriction. But at the same time, it adds the potential soot factor.
Note that I haven't towed real heavy with this setup (mostly just pulling around a small flatbed or a horse trailer) but I haven't had a problem for the past 3000 miles. :dunno I haven't been keeping my foot out of it either... :sly

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if it soot was a problem it probably would show up in 3000 miles even if your not towing. I had my exhaust just cutoff on my truck several years ago behind the cab blowing straight back. All over the bottom of the bed and rear axle were covered in soot. It drove me crazy. I think if it can get out there just enough for the wind to carry it away its probably fine. I think I will be doing my exhaust in a few months and might try to run it out behind the front tire except I might need a couple curves to go down below the frame and back up. I should only need 1 bracket to hold the exhaust and there is one right around where the downpipe bolts to.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They ran a single 3" straight pipe out right behind my side steps. From what I understand, anything over that size is overkill
That's what I've always heard...at the same time, geneluo on here (doesn't post regularly, but he's around from time to time) has a Hypermax Pulse turbo with a 2.5" downpipe going to a 5 inch sewer pipe exiting in front of the rear wheel. I don't have any video clips of it (not sure if I even have pictures, although I think towcat does), but it sounds MEAN!! Hardly any crackling/rapping/? (I can't think of the right word for the life of me) at higher RPM's that you hear with 3" and even 4" systems...just a deep rumble that almost sounds like a freight train, with the turbo whistle on top.

I'm not a fan of in-front-of-the-tire exhausts, and I can't find a 5" tail pipe assembly for the life of me...RPM Outlet used to sell a 5" assembly for the OBS PSD crowd, but they seem to have discontinued it (this is as close as they get now, but if I'm reading the description right, it's a 4" system with a 5" tip), and I can't find anyone else selling one. I'd like to get the tail pipe assembly, a piece of straight pipe to connect to my downpipe, and then get a cheapo muffler and put it around the straight pipe... "I don't know why my exhaust is so loud, Officer, you can see the muffler right there!" :angel: (not that I've had any trouble even with my current 3" straight pipe, but can't be too careful)...

BTW I ran my truck with just the downpipe for about 4 years after installing my turbo...the noise in the cab was LOUD!! By comparison, with all of my windows closed, the cab noise is about the same as it was when the truck was naturally aspirated, with the 3" straight pipe exiting the stock location...I don't know how David7.3's setup compares in terms of noise...

Also, if anyone's interested, this is how my truck sounded with just the downpipe...this was back in 2006...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UoB-tW5B44

Last edited:

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you don't need to run it all in a bigger pipe to get that sound. I used to have a large tip that was on my truck and when I removed it the sound changed alot. I think it kind of funnels the sound outwards or something.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you don't need to run it all in a bigger pipe to get that sound. I used to have a large tip that was on my truck and when I removed it the sound changed alot. I think it kind of funnels the sound outwards or something.
From what I've heard of trucks that just had a larger tip on a smaller system, they sounded different...OTOH, maybe part of that was because Gene's setup was short (it exited just behind the cab) and didn't have to deal with going over the axle?

I admit to not being an expert on the subject...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it sounds MEAN!! Hardly any crackling/rapping/? (I can't think of the right word for the life of me) at higher RPM's that you hear with 3" and even 4" systems...just a deep rumble that almost sounds like a freight train, with the turbo whistle on top.

Hardly any "blat".;Sweet
(im not a fan of that either.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance