where to buy fabric dye

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering where I can purcahse cloth of fabric dye for my seat belts at, I want something that will last any help is greatly appreciatted, I am looking for something maybe to soak them in not the cheap rattle can stuff

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Err how about a fabric store? they carry all kinds of that stuff.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Come to think of it, grocery stores used to carry the stuff too, just not as many colours, , but any place that has fabric will have Rit dye . Youll have to take the belts off and process themm but it will be permanant. I don't know what the stuff takes these days but used to require copious amounts of vinegar to set the colour.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint supply stores sell a paint that can be used on fabric. I must warn you that using rit dye or most any dye is a bad bad idea. You'll ruin alot of clothes before the dye stabilizes. That's why when dying clothes you wash them many times afterwards until the bleeding stops. If you must still dye the seat belts you'll need remove them to wash then dry and repeat until bleeding stops.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got rid of the the old leather bench seats in my '87 and replaced them with cloth bench seats from a newer model. i died them using rit dye, and though the color is not "black" it is a dark purplish color that works good enough for me. I dyed them very heavily over the course of two days. then let sit until completely dry i.e. almost a week. Then i used a carpet cleaner to get all the excess dye out. Then i used a bottle of scotch guard to lock everything in. I haven't had any clothes ruined and it's been about a year.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor used to sell used cars, after shampooing the carpets, he would mix up some Rit dye in a spray bottle and "touch-up" the carpet. I never noticed until once I saw him with a mister spraying the floor. The PO had worn the carpet down real bad but after the dye job it wasn't too bad looking. lol