Where is your high idle rpm?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Mine appears to be 850 rpm and my truck idles regularly right at 650 ish rpm (hard to tell exactly with the lovely gauges).. Wondered if the 850 was around where most of you are. I saw a post online on another site where someone epoxy'd something small to the part that kicks up the throttle to make it idle faster on high idle for whatever reason. Just curious if anyone has ever tinkered with something like this and if it really helps the engine heat up faster when starting cold.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Mine was screwed all the way in when I bought the truck. I adjusted it out to about 800 rpm. Adjusted it out some more today. Haynes manual says up to about 900 rpm.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah seems like around where mine is. I'm kinda curious why anyone was epoxying anything if it's adjustable like that. Wish I could find the thread now to see what the guy was doing it for. I never messed with mine cause everything has always seemed normal to me from what I've saw with others trucks running on YouTube.

Except for that one time when my hard line to cylinder 2 cracked in half and my truck was idling at 450 rpms and shaking like a bad washing machine on a spin cycle. Haha

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Mine is about 900-1000 RPM, a hair high IMO. I may adjust down to be 850-900 since harris says 900 is spec. When it's cold I try not to let it step up on high idle immediately. Maybe warranted or maybe OCD but I figure it can't hurt to let oil pressure build and get a little heat for 30-60 seconds before more RPM.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set mine all the way up which is 900cold.it gets to 1100 before it kicks off

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I set mine all the way up which is 900cold.it gets to 1100 before it kicks off

That just about shows ya what it takes to pump the cold oil thru the engine.

The Hi idle solenoid should be set to increase RPM to 900 - 950. The pass head temp sensor switch will open and de-energize the HI idle and IP cold advance solenoid when the head coolant reaches ~120*F. Takes a 1/4" wrench to screw the plunger in or out for adjustment. The accelerator pedal has to be floored one time with the key ON before a start to set it to Hi idle.