Where do you guys mount your electric fuel pumps?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got a free Holley Red fuel pump from work, it was part of a display and was going to get tossed even though it's a functioning unit. I have one on my mustang, been putting out a steady 5psi for over a decade now. I figured I might as well get ready to put it on my 93 as I don't see the original lift pump going much longer at 160k and counting. I was reading and see that most people prefer the dura-lift but since the holley was free I figured I would run it now and switch when it dies. Where exactly do you guys mount these things on our trucks? I know on my mustang I have it mounted under the trunk next to the tank. Also, do you just use a piece of hose to bypass the OEM pump in the line?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If your truck is running the factory fuel lines and still dual tank I would mount it on the frame just ahead of the fuel selector valve.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have mine between the fuel selector valve and the engine on the frame rail. Please do not attempt installing an electric lift pump and forcing the fuel thru the mechanical pump. The ruptures the diaphragm and floods the oil pan with diesel. Then your bearings are ruined quick fast and in a hurry..

gandalf

Reaction score
Here's another vote to place it on the frame rail just ahead of the FSV. Some prefer placing it in the engine compartment, claiming it is built to suck fuel rather than push it. I actually haven't heard any complaints from either location.

A picture, if I can find it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But he's using a Holley pump, not the carrier pump.
I believe the holleys like to push fuel. Not real sure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have mine bolted to the support bracket behind the passenger side battery. All I had to do was plumb new line off the end of the hard line that had been feeding the mech pump, then run line from the pump to a hose barb I attached to the fuel filter head. This does put the pump in a pull/suck position, but it's a Carrier. No issues in the few months it has been installed.

If the Holley pump is meant to push, on the fram downstream of the FSV would be best. Be sure to use a relay to wire it up.

Mike

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Since you guys like the carrier on the frame, I can easily switch over when the holley dies. I will remove the stock pump and get a block off plate as well, no point in tempting fate with a rupturing diaphragm or wasting the pony or two it takes to push that arm. I was kind of hoping the frame would be a good place, I am starting to run out of room under the hood.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes a holley red likes to push fuel better than sucking it..
Mine is bolted as forward and low as possible getting fed with #10 line from both tanks and she is still a picky sob, I am actually doing the dance my IDI wants from me to get her going, starts then stalls, Crank with injection pump wide open till it starts again, it takes a long time, finally vroom! starts fine all day next morning great! sits two days and yada yada yada! Starter needs long breaks, crank 20 seconds and rest 5 ten minutes, no hurry!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle