Wheel bearing change.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have greased wheel bearings many times, but my drivers front needs to be changed. There is some corrosion on them from what looks like water penetration through the bearing seal. Spindle looks good. Just a little evidence of a prior bearing failure or possible overheating.

Question is this. I have never changed wheel bearing races before. Any tips? I thnk you just knock them out with a brass drift, right? Do you need a press?

Thanks

Chris

w4dsb

Reaction score
i have never pressed them myself. just tap them out easily and back in with the new ones

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a bearing race driver set. its made from aluminum and is a god send when doing races

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you press the new races in, put them in the freezer for a while. It will shrink them a couple of thousanths and make them easier to press in.

Just take you time and as recommended above: don't use anything very hard to tap the new races in.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it all done today. New bearings and races were no problem. Did the loan a tool for a driver set and it worked great.

Didn't realize how loud the old bearings were until I drove it with the new ones. So quiet and smooth now!

Thanks for the tips guys!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad it was a simple job for you. Also nice to know an auto parts store was able to do the tool loan. This is not a job you will be doing again soon.
Years ago my wifeys Jaguar XJ12L sedan had something interesting on the front hubs. They had a grease fitting to grease the bearings. I thought that was a great idea and wondered why no american car maker didn't do that. I guess its the cost of another couple od machine processes. They also had the same taper on both sides of the lug nuts. When I did a front brake job on that car I at first thought some dummy put the lug nuts on wrong. I was surprised at finding the taper on both sides..:thumbsup:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of grease did you use?ford wants that black moly grease but im not impressed with it.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used some sort of Red semi synthetic stuff that says it is for Fords. Never really paid a whole lot of attention to grease myself. I just don't buy the cheapest stuff they make.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I used Mobil 1 one synthetic. It's red.
I don't like the black moly either.
Synthetic for me from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya next time i do mine im going to try something other than black moly

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple tubes of that semisynthetic stuff a few years back. I use an easy packer that hooks to my grease gun and also just squirt out whatever extra I need from the gun. That bearing packer was the best 7 bucks I ever spent.

I am about to do the bearings in my trailer too. It will be handy to pack the 8 bearing in that as well. Whole lot better than using the palm of your hand!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing is to drive them in & out square - tap on one side then the other, back & forth, back & forth... if you try to wail on just one side you'll get it cocked and not only will it be harder to get out, but you might also deform the bore causing problems with the new one.

Also, make sure the housing bore is clean, especially the shoulder the race sits against - a small piece of dirt or a burr here will make the new race not sit square no matter how hard to drive it in which will cause bearing wear.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trick with any race installation islistening to the sounds that are made when you are hammering it in. When it bottoms out the pitch will dramatically change - rotate the punch around and listen to make sure the same noise is heard all the way around the race. If it sounds good, it is good. Obviously things need to be clean when re-installing. I use full synthetic grease and only Spicer parts when it matters - NorthernDrivetrain.com is great, you won't meet a nicer man and he has most everything in stock.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna have to do mine as well. Just repacked them but I still have a rotational noise coming from the front and it sounds like a bearing. At least they are easy to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online

No members online now.