What's your oil pressure at idle with a warm engine?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I installed a real oil mechanical pressure gauge about a month ago. When I first put it in my warm idle at 750-850rpm was about 15psi and 40-45psi at 2600rpm.

On my last 2k trip it seemed to idle at about 10psi or thereabouts, under load it was in the 40 region, mostly about 35psi.

Is this something to be concerned about? I've been changing oil religiously at about 2500 miles in an effort to clean up the internals, 15w40 - the only difference with the last oil change was I used a FRAM filter and Delco 15w40 instead of a WIX filter and Rotella.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont use fram, it has been stated on the forum somewhere.

10 to 15 hot idle depending on temp, 40 ish at cruise.

Mudbillyrednec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont use fram, it has been stated on the forum somewhere.

10 to 15 hot idle depending on temp, 40 ish at cruise.

I'm a newbie to the 6.9L , why not Fram ???

I just got my truck second hand, and was going to do the same thing, change oil & filter , often to try and clean up any neglect previouse owner may have done ??

My oil pressure in my 85 with 115,000 is also about 12-15 at low Idle when HOT ! I run Rotella as do most of the guys around these parts...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 or 6 PSI in the Moosestang. LOL Been that way for years.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm seeing 25 lbs at warm idle 750 rpm. At 2000 rpm I see 55 lbs..... You should see it at cold startups. I see 70 lbs cold startups all the time.... I should tell you guys something... I shimmed up the new spring in the regulater section of the rear oil cooler header on this last rebuild. I added about 74 thousands of shim under the spring. I got the idea some time back but never figured to need it till the first rebuild. I had what I felt was low oil pressure across the board with all new parts. The bearing all measured within specs and the plasticgage showed the same specs. So I did what typ4 did and shimmed the spring. I'm much more comfortable now but thats just me feeling good about something that worked out well. Our motors push just over 18 gallons per minute at 3000 rpm of oil thru our motors. Its the volume that does the work carrying away the dirt and heat. Not the pressure. If our motors turned at a higher rpm, say 8000 rpm then pressure would be needed more than volume....

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
184,000 miles always w/regular oil changes.
If you can see...(I'm holding rpm up in this pic)...195 water temp
HOT...hwy 42-46 hwy/rpm
HOT...Idle 18-20
You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was once told fram are just not what they used to be. I Used to use them all the time on other stuff. Lack of square inches of paper IIRC

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I usually go to RockAuto and buy dozens of whatever is on sale, typically acdelco, fram, wix, etc. Given the frequency with which I'm changing oil for the foreseeable future shouldn't make much of a difference unless the damned things implode on themselves.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I wonder if it's the change in oil to the blue jugs from the white ones....

And I'm about to start buying the citgo pails they sell at the farm supply.