What's your oil pressure at idle with a warm engine?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's some info to set you guys who swear by Rotella.
Shell sold the Rotella name roughly a year ago to SOPUS products.
Go ahead....look at the back of the new bottle and google who owns the company:eek:
The name's there, but what's the the bottle isn't the same anymore.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
here's some info to set you guys who swear by Rotella.
Shell sold the Rotella name roughly a year ago to SOPUS products.
Go ahead....look at the back of the new bottle and google who owns the company:eek:
The name's there, but what's the the bottle isn't the same anymore.

What I came up with is that SOPUS is Pennziol-Quakerstate. But is says that the SOPUS parent company is Shell.

http://www.pzlqs.com/

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen oil pressure anywhere from right around 9-10psi hot idle to 20 or better at hot idle. The only thing that would worry me is if I had very little to no oil pressure at hot idle or anything less than 30-40 hot. All this assumes no oil leaks or obstructions in your tubing if you have a mech. gauge and everything hooked up right if its an electrical unit. I think that bad bearings and other potentially serious problems show up with lower highway and operating temp oil pressure. Also I would worry about not getting enough oil pressure on a cold startup when everything is cold and REALLY needs that layer of oil to prevent from destroying itself. On the oil issue, I'm planning to switch to synthetic after I get through 2 cycles and a rinse in between of auto-RX. They suggest using the cheapest correct motor oil and grade available for your engine and application so I used Valvoline Blue last time and this time some Warren Lubrigaurd stuff. Oil pressure and operating noise seem unaffected. I used to only use Rotella, either 15/40 or SAE30, but now its always 15w-40 and whatever is diesel rated. Soon it'll be getting AMSOIL diesel and marine through RLDSL and trying to extend the change intervals from 2500-3500 out to 5-6000 miles or so. I always use a PSD oil filter and ALWAYS use something better than FRAM, I've used NAPA, K&N, Mobil1, an FORD. I'd also use anything else that was not supposedly prone to trouble. Another thing I forgot about the oil pressure, if that gauge shares an oil supply with your turbo it could very well be reading low when that turbo is working hard as the turbo uses a lot of oil to keep from killing itself. I recommend you tap one of the oil galleries that you DID NOT use to install your turbo and be sure to keep your tubing away from hot exhaust parts especially if it is plastic.... I nearly had a disaster with that last year.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Banks uses the main oil gallery plug next to the bell housing joint to feed the turbo. The oil pressure sender is set right on top of the feed bracket that Banks supplies in there kits.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i get around 10 psi hot idle and 35-40 around 2000. i cant get much above about 50 cold. i am also tapped right off the turbo feed which i might move if i am feeling froggy someday.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17-20 at warm idle
30-35 at cold idle
37-40 at warm cruise
No idea at cold cruise - I've never managed to get to the highway before she got warmed up ;)

I run straight Delo 40Wt...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online