What's the trick for removing/installing the serpentine belt?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I'm decently mechanically inclined, the removal and reinstallation of my IDI's serpentine belt has always been difficult. (Yes, I know how to compress the tensioner spring) ;)

For some reason I just can't visualize whether the entire belt has to be worked over the fan or not! I think that it can be passed over the crank pulley from the side or underneath, then over the tensioner mechanism, back under the water pump, etc.

Anyway, what's your favorite step-by-step procedure, so I don't keep ending up like Laocoon and his sons?
You must be registered for see images attach

thanks.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured it out... I observed carefully as I removed the old one :D In short, the belt does have to pass over the fan (once). THEN make a loop with the ribs facing outwards, and put it over the smooth tensioner wheels. Still a mild PITA with only two hands.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:Thumbs Up

Seriously though, the instructions specifically say not to cut the old belt with the spring under tension, because the tensioner will slam against its stop and may break something...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a joke. You should have a sticker at the front of your engine bay that shows you routing. It is a PITA to do alone - especially with a new ***** belt - but that builds character.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know it was a joke, that's why I had the big-grin logo followed by "seriously, though..." :p

There is a routing diagram on the core support. But I've had it on and off enough times now to replace the different accessories that I don't need to refer to it any more!

It built lots of character all right, but it didn't do anything good for my partial rotator cuff tear! I could have waited for a helper but I'm stubborn that way ;)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay here’s the trick. Route the whole belt around the fan and get it over the alt, across the top of the vacuum pump, over the ac and ps pump, letting all the extra length hang down under the crank pulley. Grab the passenger side of the belt right near the gap between the water pump pulley and crank. Pinch the belt and insert it in that gap while spinning the fan counter clockwise. The fan pulley will grab the belt and draw it through to the other side by the tensioner. Once there’s enough length on that side grab it and pull it over the tensioner. Put a wrench on the tensioner and pull it over the vacuum pump pulley, because you are pushing down to get over the pulley it’s usually easy enough to do without loosing anything else since you can use your weight to help you. This process takes me a minute or two to change out on the side of the road, done it many times. If y’all can’t quite picture this way I can make a video if it helps some folks

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure video away - I'd like 2 C a 2 min. change !!!
(practice has made perfect?)

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Special tool to get the old one off cookoo

Here's a trick I stumbled upon. If you need to cut hoses, belts, or other soft items in your vehicle, throw away the crappy automotive hose cutters, tin snips, and other tools designed for a car or truck.

Instead, buy a nice pruning shears.

It cuts VERY clean, without any major resistance or effort. I've been using one for years.

A few months ago, I had to buy some fuel and heater hose at the Autozoo, and they fiddled with that awful hose cutter chained to their shelf. It took a long time, and I told them to get a pruning shears. No more mangling or trouble.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online