What's the quickest and easiest way to tell of my timing is advanced or retarded...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mmmmm by ear not always the best way if it's not sounds like a rattle trap it's not advanced and if there is a major un burnt diesel smell in the exhaust it's really retarded mine on The Pig was 9degrees retarded and smelt so bad in traffic I would get a head ache The joker was advanced to were it sounded like a stroker or a 4bt straight rattle trap both were set by my ear and I timed and both trucks were 1 or 2 degrees off

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Grey smoke at idle? and i have no smoke at idle but i turned my pump up so obviously I have black smoke when lugging or when I floor it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Moving the pump tells you if you went the right or wrong direction. also the color of the smoke tells advanced or retrarded like has been posted here. Do you feel the timing is not set correct. If so what makes you feel that way.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I think its set dead on. I was just curious how to tell if it was advanced or retarded so I could compare and see if I'm actually dead on.