What's the deal

Woody

Reaction score
Ok I have my mods listed in my Sig. My problem is that I have a decent amount of black smoke, I'm only getting 24-26 lbs of boost at wide open throtle with the torque converter locked. EGT's arn't that bad when towing. Last trip towing I only reached 1150 on a hill towing 7000#. My MPG has been around 12-13 towing or unloaded. Can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking?

Thanks,
Bernie

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Sounds like the boost elbow is popping off at that psi - you can adjust it a little. Now I will tell you that I was told that our stock turbos can only take around 30psi before they start super heating the air then it does not matter how much boost you shove because you lose the effectiveness. I found out that holds true because my egts dropped considerablily when I backed the boost elbow off so that I only run about 28~30psi. I only have a 35psi boost gauge and could not tell you where I used to be hitting...

I have the WH1C turbo on mine which I suspect you have as well.

diesele-rock

diesele-rock
Reaction score
i have a 96 12 valve and i hit 30-40 psi all day i dont have problems with egts either i am running a stock turbo witha 5 speed and 4:10 rears the reason your egts are probably high is that with the auto the rpms ussually run at 25-2700 at least thats what my bosses 97 did

Woody

Reaction score
I have the elbow basically all the way closed. As far as the EGT I'm not worried about what temps I have been running. The only other thing I noticed is when I installed the boost elbow there was a small bearing basically the I.D. of the runner line inside the tube. Has anyone else seen that or know what it is for? I'd like to get by boost up to around 30-32 ish. I have done a bunch of research and found that the stock turbo can make more, but once it gets above 36 psi it starts to generate heat.

rubberfish

Reaction score
***** said:
The only other thing I noticed is when I installed the boost elbow there was a small bearing basically the I.D. of the runner line inside the tube.
You mean like a little "BB" that plugs the tube? Have you dyno'd?
Are you pumping enough fuel to make 40 plus lbs?
As mentioned, it's not all good to see those numbers though.
Personally, I've never seen mine spool over 50. :rolleyes:

Woody

Reaction score
rubberfish said:
You mean like a little "BB" that plugs the tube? Have you dyno'd?
Are you pumping enough fuel to make 40 plus lbs?
As mentioned, it's not all good to see those numbers though.
Personally, I've never seen mine spool over 50. :rolleyes:

Yep it's in the tube, but it can roll back and forth. I think I'll just take it out. I'm sure I'm pumping enough fuel to be able to bring the boost up a little more, because of all the smoke. Plus I'm getting bad MPG. If my boost was up around 32ish I'd be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online