What's that you say? 4400 miles in a 25 year old van?

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Your nuts. Been hearing it all week from everyone. But yes. I'm taking the flying toaster on a 4400 mile trip Friday. Starting in Madison wi, Rushmore, devils tower, yellow stone, grand Tetons, Bryce Canyon, Zion then onto Nashville tn.

Need more oil though only have enough for about 1750 miles.

Going to be a long two and a half weeks in a pop up camper.
Who can help bail me out if I need the help!!??!??!?

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Challenges are what makes life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you break down around arkansas, give a shout! No oil to help though....

Trips like that are what make life interesting! Enjoy it!

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like an adventure, enjoy it! No worries, I wouldn't dare embark on such a journey driving anything EFI, I'd be worried it'd leave me stranded. Just about anyhthing that fails on your van can be fixed with basic hand tools. I'm a bit out of your way in NJ otherwise I'd offer to be a emergency contact or pit stop.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you burning wmo or WVO? I have posted on lounge a free barrel of WMO. I will run it through the centrifuge for you if you will take it with you.
Wife doesn't like her exhaust smell on WMO and I have tons of WVO.
Shoot me a PM if you want me to clean some up and fill you up while you are in tennessee.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate taking that trip with you and your van. Maybe my only point of curiosity would be the higher altitudes in a NA vehicle. Not sure if yours is, but I am guessing it is since it isn't listed in your sig. The reason I wonder is when I lived in WY, my cycle had to be rejetted when I ran the higher altitudes because it would run way too rich stock between 11-14K feet. I just wonder how our IDIs would run NA at the higher altitudes. My EFI 89 GMC ran exceptionally well, compensating the entire run with no problems to over 14K feet, so EFI is wonderful in that respect.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are not alone in driving older vehicles on the open road.
I did CA to MI to TX and back to CA in 2012. ;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
will I do it again? in a hot second. :D

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Are you burning wmo or WVO? I have posted on lounge a free barrel of WMO. I will run it through the centrifuge for you if you will take it with you.
Wife doesn't like her exhaust smell on WMO and I have tons of WVO.
Shoot me a PM if you want me to clean some up and fill you up while you are in tennessee.
Shadetree -where are you located ? Can't figure it out from tapatalk

I may take you up on that!

Challenges are what makes life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate taking that trip with you and your van. Maybe my only point of curiosity would be the higher altitudes in a NA vehicle. Not sure if yours is, but I am guessing it is since it isn't listed in your sig. The reason I wonder is when I lived in WY, my cycle had to be rejetted when I ran the higher altitudes because it would run way too rich stock between 11-14K feet. I just wonder how our IDIs would run NA at the higher altitudes. My EFI 89 GMC ran exceptionally well, compensating the entire run with no problems to over 14K feet, so EFI is wonderful in that respect.

Yes I'm na

Lose my signature when on the phone

I went to the Fraser valley in CO in an 86 G van. 305 quadrajet in 99

Never again!

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing about taking off in something old or tired... be realistic. Fix any known issues before you go and don't "hope" that something marginal is going to make it. Prep well and realistically.

After that, it's all about mechanical sympathy. Don't push it. Gaugewatch. Listen, look and smell for problems. Do walk-arounds often. Deal with symptoms early on. Old trucks talk a lot and you need to listen.

Some years back, I drove an unrestored, original 1940 Chrysler Windsor from VA to CA. Did a fair bit of maintenance prep and a few minor repairs before heading off. Stayed off the fast freeways. Enjoyed the HELL out of it and the old beast did too. No problems to speak of, other than occasional vapor locking. Car got high teens mpg too! Two worst parts of the trip: really bad truckers sunburn on my left arm and an inability to get away from a stop without a crowd of people showing up and asking questions.

Above all, enjoy life in the slow lane.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I was planning on taking the Enterprise to NC again here in July until the fiance reminded me that I'm mildly worried about the DMF. Probably not going to get to replace it with a solid flywheel before then, so well have to take the little Hyundai. How I hate that uncomfortable thing. At least it's cheap on fuel.

Headed for camping straight after work tonight, about 50 miles away. Then back to work Friday and back out to camp for the weekend!

Good luck on your trip and always carry tools!

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hop in my van today and leave without a worry. Drove from northern Indiana to Disney and back in September. Drove each leg straight through with 2 drivers, about 20 hours each way depending on bathroom and food stops. 10 people in the van and a trailer full of luggage. Van didn't miss a beat. This "It's old it's gonna break." attitude is a load of crap if the vehicle is well maintained.

Just make sure all your routine maintenance is done. Check all your fluids....ATF,oil,coolant, brake fluid. Make sure your brake pads have enough life left for the miles. Check the tread on your tires. I carry a small tote with hand tools, extra fluids and a spare oil/fuel filter.

If your are around the Ft Wayne, IN area and need a hand let me know. No WMO for you though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online