what's an average cost for having 6.9/7.3 rebuilt

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
seeing what everyone has paid machine shops etc
wanting to possibly rebuild an 87 6.9 block with 7.3 heads and so forth and head studs and turbo rods and rebuild one of my ip's for truck i'm looking at
if i get truck i'd like less than 2k in motor build if possibly.
I should be able to do assembly my self have done many bikes,atv's from top to bottom.
what was everyone's cost ?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2k should be doable especially with you doing the assembly work..

I'm in the same boat. Trying to decide if it is worth rebuilding a idi or trying to horn in a dt360 :eek:

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just re-sleeved a 7.3 had the heads done, crank and cam polished not turned. New pistons and bearings and the machine shop assembled the long block. I spent $1500 on the machine work and another $1400- $1500 on the parts.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I said. If I hadn't already put a couple thousand in the chassis of the truck I probably would have chosen a different route. Its true what they say a Cheap truck isn't always a cheap truck.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Buddy of mine just spent way less sending his PSD to the machine shop....that is nuts what you paid....she oughta run like a champ though!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
IMO keep 6.9 heads.... first off it's alot of work to put, if no impossible to put 7.3 heads on a 6.9 block.

And 7.3 heads have a big coolant passage blocked out, that the 6.9's don't. 6.9's have alot less trouble keeping cool in hot summer traffic, or pulling loads..... witch makes the more durable one of the 2.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sleeving cost almost $1000 one cylinder was really bad the the rest were at least .007" over. I spent as much on the motor as I did to buy the truck. I really like the truck but I think I will have to keep it forever.

Last edited:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Lol, its looking that way.....you oughta have a new truck here directly. My buddy just had a PSD block bored .040 with 2 cylinders sleeved, along with new pistons, rings and all bearings for 1800......sorry for the hijack.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is always interesting to see what other people pay for similar work. I could have saved a couple hundred if I would have assembled it but I thought I would let the pros do it. I contemplated just sleeving the one cylinder and boring the others but because of the cavitation issues with the 7.3 I didn't want to press my already bad luck.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Good move with the sleeving. Not only does that nip the cavitation in the bud, but most of the time when one cylinder is sleeved the one next to it becomes oblonged. Sleeving all cylinders on one side usually is recommended. Good read War_Wagon......

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will save the most by doing a 6.9 block. Sleeving is where it gets expensive, and no shop around here will do a 7.3 block without sleeving all 8. Last time I asked my local builder, it was 4 grand to go through a 7.3 long block.

Gotta remember a master kit alone starts at a grand, if you need head work, crank work, etc it can add up fast. 2 grand might do it, if you did all the leg work and bought your own parts.