What Year Model rears will go in 88, f350?

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to the junkyards in search of 3.55 gears or complete rearend. What year models do I look for to have a hassle-free swap?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
85-97 I'm thinking. As long as it's the Ford/Sterling 10.25 before 93 they are very similar. I wouldn't try swapping in anything after they upgraded to the 10.5, it would be more of a challenge. In 85 and earlier they used Dana rear ends, usually a Dana 70 or 3.31 and up and a D61 for 3.07s.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
He's talking whole axles. Any Sterlings after 97 will have metric lug nut patterns and disc brakes. Any Ford before 85 will have Dana axles. Dana's have inboard drum brakes.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm going to the junkyards in search of 3.55 gears or complete rearend. What year models do I look for to have a hassle-free swap?

Is your truck 4wd? Is it a factory dually?

If it is 4wd then you are looking for a dana 60 front axle and for the rear you want a Stering 10.25 which came in F250/350 from 86-97.

If your is a Factory dually, you NEED a Dually PICK-UP rear axle. They are 6" wider than a Single wheel pick-up axle. And a cab-n-chassis rear axle will do you NO GOOD, they are appox 3" narrower than a dually pick-up axle and the spring perches are mounted differently

smokin90

Reaction score
Is your truck 4wd? Is it a factory dually?

If it is 4wd then you are looking for a dana 60 front axle and for the rear you want a Stering 10.25 which came in F250/350 from 86-97.

If your is a Factory dually, you NEED a Dually PICK-UP rear axle. They are 6" wider than a Single wheel pick-up axle. And a cab-n-chassis rear axle will do you NO GOOD, they are appox 3" narrower than a dually pick-up axle and the spring perches are mounted differently

I might be over looking this but I've always woundered who makes this axles are they Sterings

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC isnt the 94 and up sterlings a longer pinion? if so wouldnt this cause driveshaft length issues?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Does $700. sound like a fair price?

For a pick-up dually axle, it is kinda high.Unless it is a super low milage, good brakes and Limited slip unit with the correct gear ratio you are looking for.

Or you could have your axle rebuilt with the gears you want and a mild locker for 1200 or less

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$700? normal price I see is about $200 to $250. I got mine for my 96 for free from a buddy. I would pay 700 with new brakes and an aftermarket limited slip, or a selectable locker. :sly

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not paying 700. I just put an offer to trade in the Marketplace if anyone wants a 4.10.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
IIRC isnt the 94 and up sterlings a longer pinion? if so wouldnt this cause driveshaft length issues?

Nope. Got a long pinion axle in my 88. The difference is the pinion has a longer spline area, which is all within the yoke. The yoke is thicker, but the driveshaft stays the same length