What turbo / setup does my truck have

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
I have 86 f250 with a banks turbo kit on it. The PPo's son said that this was a dealer installed option. The only markings I see on the turbo are "24025" can anybody tell me about this setup?

Thanks,
Mike

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was dealer installed in 86 it probably has to be the Banks non wastegated system but 87crewdually shows the latest wastegated sidewinder. If it's Banks it's one of these two. We won't know for sure till you post pics though.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Its the BIG box... a little different than anything posted so far, mostly like the last pic that 87 crew posted.... I'll gets some pics up later today when i get out to the shop

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
here's some pics....

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 11
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 6
  • truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 4
  • truck4.jpg
    truck4.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 6
  • truck5.jpg
    truck5.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 4

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st gen Banks, same as pic 2 above and in the article linked. Tons of posts on 'em in this forum and elsewhere. Not the latest and greatest but perfectly serviceable. The only drawback is you have to remove that stupid box ever time you want to get at the ip and injectors. I'm trying to come up with an alternative to tha box. The only piece I'm missing is something to mount the CDR to.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Thanks guys...

any specifics on turbo, downpipe, or exhaust... upgrades to this system? And do you guys know if anything else would have been changed from the stock setup since this was a dealer installed option?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little history for you on your kit. Your kit wasn't installed when the truck was new but later maybe 1988 or after. The earlier kits say "6.9" on the lid because there was no 7.3 until 1988. Plus the tag in your picture saids it's for 6.9/7.3. Doesn't mean the dealer didn't install it but it does mean it wasn't on the truck for it's entire life.
It also appears the glowplug system may have been updated, maybe by the dealer during the turbo install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online