What tranny came in the broncos?

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I know its not exactly IDI related, but what tranny came in the 89 broncos?? E4OD im assuming? A friend of mine has an 89 with the v-8 and auto, and the tranny dip stick wont stay put, granted the bellhousing tab is non-existant. We put a new o-ring on the bottom, but it just plain falls out on the first bump! Is there something other then the O-ring and bell housing tab that holds it in place??

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 89's came with the AOD, possibly the AODE. I think I'd just buy another dipstick tube, one that has the bell housing tab intact, or even have a tab welded onto the current one.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there something other then the O-ring and bell housing tab that holds it in place??

Nope. The O-ring just seals it. The bell housing tab is what keeps it in place. Tranny tubes are not usually very expensive. I got a new one for the Superduty a few weeks ago from Ford and IIRC it was $23.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
For '89, the AOD 90% of the time with the 302. Otherwise a C6 rarely with the 302 and all the time for a 351.

PRN(D)D1 and 14 pan bolts for the AOD.
PRND21 and 17 pan bolts for the C6.

No E4OD in the bronco's till '90.

Adrianspeeder

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
OK, thanks guys! Thats not a bad price on a dipstick tube from Ford either! I'll have to get with my bud n let him know. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online