what to look for on 1996 PSD zf5 4x4 with 130,000 miles

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy an ext. cab long bed F250 PSD zf5 4x4 with 130,000 miles. I know this is considerably low miles for the motor and truck. Is there anything I should look for besides possible glow plugs needing replaced and clutch wear?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Injector failure always worries me about PSD's. Since they are an HEUI fuel system that uses high pressure oil to fire the injectors, I find it to be crucial that the oil see regular changes. If it has not, the injectors may be quite worn.. This is all from my limited experience however.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They can sometimes be brought back.
But IMO, just makes a good time to upgrade.

There's not many (if any) tell tale signs of catastrophe coming.

Check blow by, smell oil, look at coolant, etc.
Check 4x4 engagement. Low and high range.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a bunch of research on these engines when I was thinking of buying one. The main thing is regular oil changes, its oil pressure from the High Pressure Oil Pump that actually opens the injectors. The reservoir where this oil resides doesn't cycle through the filter as regularly as the stuff in the oilpan. As with any diesel make sure you are around to hear it start when cold.

Another common issue with the powerstrokes is the wiring harness that goes into the valve covers. It tends to deteriorate and break. The truck may have low milage, but it has been around for a while, so age plays a part.

Beware of any aftermarket performance done to the truck. Some chip installations tap directly into the wiring of the truck's computer system and depending on the quality of the install, they can actually cause more long term damage than the short term performance boost most get with them.

Other than that, its the typical standard used truck inspection, leaks, worn parts. rust, bad body or wheel alignment etc.

One last thing, if you test drive it, drive the hell out of the truck if something is going to break you will find out then and before you buy it. Its a good way to find band-aid jobs people put on just to sell the vehicle.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I did look at it and test drive it. It was about 55 degrees out and the glow plug light only stayed on for about 4 seconds, so it looks to me that they might be in need of replacement. Truck seemed to start okay very little if any smoke at start up. The truck seemed to drive good and shift good. I did drive the **** out of it and could not get it to do anything funny. It has not had any performance chips on it or anything that I can tell. Engine did not smoke even when I hammered on it. Wife and kid were antsy so I forgot to test the 4x4, or smell the oil. I will make sure I do that when I go back for a second look. Truck was very clean in my opinion, no body rust and the underside was pretty good considering it is an Ohio truck and its age.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back and drove it a second time and checked everything I could possibly think of. Ended up buying it for $8,250. It is clean almost looks brand new inside and out, tires were about 50%. The only thing I think it will need is just the normal fluid flushes and changes and possibly a set of glow plugs.

They glow for about 5 seconds max when it is about 35 to 40 degrees out, is that normal for PSD? I am use to my 6.9 glowing for 10 seconds.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The light time and glow time aren't correlated. The glow plugs actually run for two minutes.

Get some pics man. Lol

I can give you some stuff for checking the uvch.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try and get some pics this weekend maybe. Busy as hell right now trying to remodel our new to us house because we sold ours and the buys want us out by Dec. 1st!

what is uvch short for? Im sure it is something simple.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listened for the click when starting the truck yesterday, solenoid is definitely clicking when turning the key on. What else should I check on the glow plug system before taking the valve covers off and replacing the plugs?

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't really listen for that, was on my way home and it was late. I will try and diagnose it better this weekend. I will get my multi meter out and check to see if I have power on both sides of the relay. Anything else that I should check?

I will just plug block heater in for an hour or so until I get time to check everything. Yesterday it started pretty hard and it was 50 degrees out, kind of sputtered a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online