What to get??

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy is going into the army, and when he gets back he wants a diesel. He will only get a chevy, and likes either the duramax or the 6.2 body style. He only wants to spend 6 grand or so, so a dmax isn't really an option. The questions is, should he get an 80's truck and throw a 6.5 in it, or get an 80's truck and just have the 6.2? He would like a turbo, so he would need to get a turbo put on the 6.2. which is more reliable... 6.2 with a turbo, or a 6.5? and what kinda power differences are in a ford idi vs a chevy diesel?
Thanks guys

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
My vote goes for an old '80s truck with a 6.2, and turbo it with all the 6.5 stuff. It's fairly straight forward and simple. I like the old square bodies more than new trucks anyway.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
6.2 without a turbo would be my choice no doubt. They blew enough head gaskets without a turbo, wouldn't want to compromise reliability with a turbo.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
---> 93fordturbo <--- Are you still considering selling your '85 or have you decided to keep it?

boostedretard

Reaction score
For 6K he just may be able to locate a 12V swapped older chevy. actually for 6K he could also build one but it sounds like he wants a turn key truck. If he does buy a 6.2 he will have money left over for repairs.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 6K he just may be able to locate a 12V swapped older chevy. actually for 6K he could also build one but it sounds like he wants a turn key truck. If he does buy a 6.2 he will have money left over for repairs.

Sounds like buuying someone elses mess. I hate buying someones project. Always ends up being hacked up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The "reb block" is supposed to be stronger and have bigger valves. I believe it was the '81 casting. Depending on what his MOS is, he may be working on the exact same engine. As a select few of you all know, the 6.2/6.5 are what powers the Humvee. Someone above said something about headgaskets blowing, I've never seen that be an issue. People claim they know everything about the 6.2/6.5 calling them crap, when in reality they're thinking of the 5.7 diesel.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The "reb block" is supposed to be stronger and have bigger valves. I believe it was the '81 casting. Depending on what his MOS is, he may be working on the exact same engine. As a select few of you all know, the 6.2/6.5 are what powers the Humvee. Someone above said something about headgaskets blowing, I've never seen that be an issue. People claim they know everything about the 6.2/6.5 calling them crap, when in reality they're thinking of the 5.7 diesel.

6.2-6.5 do blow headgaskets, and it is very common. They are a great engine in the correct application. I cant think of ANY engine that is as fuel efficient as an old 6.2 motor.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I think the 6.2 is an excellent engine. I have a few of them, one in an 82 Suburban that has only had an IP and lift pump since it was bought new by my dad. I have an 84 M1009 that I have beat the living snot out of and has not failed me once. Even in the sub zero weather it starts easily, and with a couple of GPs out as well. But the GP system is important to any IDI diesel, so I'd say that would be the first piece of the puzzle when doing maintaining it. As for blowing head gaskets... In a combined 500K worth of miles with 6.2 engines, I have yet to have a head gasket go out.

The 5.7s were great engines, for learning how to do heads correctly and collecting diesel specific tools. They were ******* the heads, but if redone with proper gaskets, Mercedes sealant on the heads, good head bolts and proper torquing as well as follow up re-torquing, they became very fuel efficient and dependable motors. But proper work is the key with any engine really, and the olds 350 diesel really should have had a better design. But for their applications (and I had an 81 and 82 Pontiac Grand Prix) they were amazing. Always gave nearly 40 mpg even with AC running and on hills.

I won't argue that a lot of people have had problems with any diesels other than a cummins, I will just say that it hasn't been my experience. I've been working on diesels of ALL sorts since the late 70s, so I can honestly give an opinion laced with experience. But, sometimes facts don't mean as much as what you prefer

And that's why people like going with a Cummins. Easy work, overbuilt design. A monkey can keep one running. Ever meet my brother? :)

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 & 6.5's CAN blow head gaskets. Typically it is another issue that causes it to blow (although not always) and the tty head bolts are known to fail.

I use 2 of my 6.5's for workhorses and have 2 for fun cruisers. Neither of my workhorses have head studs or have ever had the heads off. I bought my 00 as a project truck that a local guy sent off to get a horse hauling truck built with most of the bells and whistles (but some crappy wiring that caught fire). My 95 isn't studded either but when its engine is stuck in my 93 C3500 it will be studded top and bottom.

The newer cast (00 and newer) is cast by navistar and 02 and newer has different metallurgy and thicker castings (more along the lines of a 7.3). 81-82 red block was cast in house by Detroit, the way they intended the 6.2 to be built after that gm took over and for lack of a better term ruined a good thing. The heads on the red block flow great and crack even better but that problem was fixed by smaller valves for added meat between the valves.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I had just never heard of the head gaskets being a problem. I knew the red block sometimes had problems with the pre-cup or head cracking. Plus the main webs cracking on a lot of different years. Apparently I got lucky with mine then. Put some hard miles on it after turning the fuel up and advancing the timing. And yes, done without a meter. I know it would outrun my girlfriend's car.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine have alot of miles with a 40ft floater and 23 1500# rounds bales loaded on it, 32 ft spread deck with a tractor or swather loaded, or hauling cattle. They can take abuse but there are some issues to be aware of.

The harmonic balancer is junk and the GM turbo that over heats and over pressures the combustion chamber which over time weakens the block and head bolts.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has similar but different experiences with these, and different products. It just goes to show that the more ideas and opinions you can get the better you are. There's something to learn every day.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard about the harmonic balancer being weak. And I was sure that a blower is a little much on these. Not that I still wouldn't want to reinforce the heads and block and put one on... :sly