What to do.. I screwed the splines up on the parking brake lever assembly bolt?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I screwed up the splines on the parking brake lever assmbly bolt when i was doing the spring job on my brakes.
I have everything back together except the parking brake assembly lever, it wont go back together because I screwed up the splines on the bolt and bushing. Now the bushing wont slide down the bolt like it should. I was thinking about filing the splines off but then I thought they are there for a reason. I have tried looking for a new one and cant find one at the auto stores. Does anyone know where I can get another one or a way to make it work or get around it safely ?

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
If its an automatic, leave it out. I don't use my park brake.
Should be able to get one at a junk yard. I have several old axles, but they all still have the drums on so I really can't get a lever out without some effort.

Last edited:

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks !
I just filed it down until it was a tight fit in and held the head with vise grips works fine.
The brakes work good just need to bleed them a bit more had to move it up the driveway it was blocking all the other cars in.
I am still getting bolts from a member, so I am prepared when I do the other side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My parking brake will hold thr truck if I forget to let it off when I try to drive off. As for finding parts like this probably the only place is a good wrecking yard. Parts like this are not a shelf item anywhere. Not even the dealers have them becuase they don't wear or break.