What oil do you run?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The old 2 stroke EMD's do not require oil changes, just routine filter changes.
They burn so much oil there is no point to change it.

The 4 stroke GE's get oil changes with the same oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why EMD stand for Every Model Drips. LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 67 GM Bus with a Detroit 8V71 in it, it was an EMD, leaked so much oil, and the spital tubes would fill my catch cups in a thousand miles, used a gallon of oil every 1500 miles, like said, I quit changing oil, just the filter.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL]

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is rather interesting that different individual engines (but same model) seem to use more of one brand of oil between changes than other brands. Granted, there are a lot of variables involved here (internal condition of engine, how it used/abused, hwy travel vs. local travel, towing, current phase the moon is in, etc.) In the case of my truck, I have used Rotella 15w40 and it certainly does not drink it like many have experienced (maybe a quart between 3k changes). I have had good luck with the Motorcraft Superduty 15w40 oil and only adding 1/2 quart between 3k changes. The last change I bought Valvoline Blue premium 15w40 and have already added 2 quarts with 400 miles to go until the next change. Guess the truck doesn't like it. Same driver, same driving style. It is almost like handloading for a rifle - one load works great but another not so good.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
here we go again....yet another "whats your favorite oil" thread lol

personally i run delo or delvac. my idi saw wat too much consumption with rotella...like 4-5qts between changed.... switched to delo or delvac and it went away completely

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You warm weather guys might not care, but I ran 15W40 Chevron Delo last year and my PSD would not start without being plugged in at about -10 F. Ironically, my 300SDL mechanically injected car starts incredibly well on the same oil. Yesterday it was -4 F and although I had a little bit of gelled fuel (parked outside, didn't have enough white bottle to treat a full tank and it got colder than I thought it was going to get) and I am convinced it was harder to start due to the fuel issue, but it did start much better last year when it had full synthetic Amsoil in it, so I'm going back to full synthetic. I went to synthetic oil in the PSD and the difference in sub +10 F weather is pretty dramatic. I vote Chevron or Rotella synthetic for colder climates ;Sweet

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil1 Delvac MX 15W40 in the PSD and IDI - no oil usage between oil changes ! ;Sweet (PSD 231000 mls, IDI ~85000 mls). Before I switched to Delvac I had LiquiMoly in the IDI (a german brand) and I had to fill it up often...