What is this plug used for?

Chrono558

Reaction score
When I was changing my fuel filter today I came across a connector with a green/red wire that looks like it runs to something on the fuel filter but I cannot see where it connects. I have connected my water in fuel sensor and the fuel heater connector is still on there, but have no idea where this connector goes. It appears to be in the same wiring harness used by the glow plugs. The connector in question is the one resting on top of the fuel filter to injector pump shown in the picture below. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If memory serves, there's a coolant temp sensor down behind the top radiator hose/thermostat housing, but I think that sensor is a 2 prong connector.

I doubt it goes to the alternator...

EDIT:
Well maybe it DOES go to the alternator:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?44434-Wiring-Diagrams-(1989)

I see a Red/Green to the alt, and also one in the wait to start circuit. It doesn't look like the wire colors match up to the fuel pressure sensor (red/yellow and dk green/lt green) :confused::dunno

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
On the fuel filter should be 3 wires on a 7.3. Fuel heater, water in fuel, and a pressure sensor

Chrono558

Reaction score
The heater and water sensors are connected. After looking around on Google I think what this connector goes to is the vacuum sensor that sits right behind the return line coming from the IP. I can see the sensor installed into the housing and it appears that part of it has broken off and remained in the connector. I've taken another picture which shows where I think it goes. If I've done my homework correctly this basically turns on a light if the fuel filter gets restricted and the IP is pulling so much fuel that it is pulling a vacuum on the fuel system. Am I correct in that assumption and do I need to replace it? I'm pretty much going to adopt a schedule of replacing the fuel filter every 25-30K anyways.

Sorry for the noob questions. Just trying to do my best.

Thanks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Should look like this.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh for farks sake I was so wrong... I blame the broken plastic bit...

Replacement would be advised... I've read that letting the IP try and draw it's own fuel is pretty rough on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. That wire is the dash fuel filter light. Someone needs a new vacuum fuel sender too...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would change the fuel filter more often than 25-30k. I change mine every oil change. It sucks to change on the side of the road. It's an easy job, but near impossible to replace without getting covered in diesel and then you get it all over your interior.

Chrono558

Reaction score
I get the feeling that thing has been broken for a while before I bought the truck. I will go ahead and get a new one and replace it. I'm still working on an interval schedule for replacing fuel filters and will probably adjust that number accordingly in the future. Thanks for the help everyone!

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who carries it?

Seems that I saw it somewhere last week for over forty dollars...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon has them. I'm sure various other parts places do as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.