What is this connected to vacuum

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is connected to my vacuum rail. It aLos has electrical wires going to it. It is located drivers side front by the radiator. Also I have read that the vacuum pump is located below the alternator. Why is mine located on top of my engine?

Attachments

• 2D31EFB2-36F6-41E2-AA88-F636BBC34155.jpeg
    2D31EFB2-36F6-41E2-AA88-F636BBC34155.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 12
  • C0A96353-DAB4-4CE4-8726-3D7F2A4B7B4B.jpeg
    C0A96353-DAB4-4CE4-8726-3D7F2A4B7B4B.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 11

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the low vaccum warning switch.

Also I have read that the vacuum pump is located below the alternator. Why is mine located on top of my engine?

V belt engines have it below the alternator. Serpentine belt engines have it where yours is.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score

V belt engines have it below the alternator. Serpentine belt engines have it where yours is.
All my trucks are mounted on a plate next to the start solenoid, v belt setup.

Do they even work? I've never seen a light come on, even with it manually disconnected.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All my trucks are mounted on a plate next to the start solenoid, v belt setup.

Do they even work? I've never seen a light come on, even with it manually disconnected.

I was referring to the location of the vacuum pump, as quoted. Does the warning switch work? I don't know. One of my trucks has it and I've never seen it come on. At the age these are and no longer available, I'm guessing probably most of them don't work anymore.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is connected to my vacuum rail. It aLos has electrical wires going to it. It is located drivers side front by the radiator. Also I have read that the vacuum pump is located below the alternator. Why is mine located on top of my engine?
I was literally looking at that the other day wondering about it myself.

This is a great example of one of those questions you always want to ask, but don't for fear of appearing........ unknowledgeable.......I guess.....I don't know. But now we know and knowing is half the Battle!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Does the warning switch work? I don't know. One of my trucks has it and I've never seen it come on. At the age these are and no longer available, I'm guessing probably most of them don't work anymore.
Now that you mention it, I don't think that I've ever seen mine come on either. I don't worry about it since I have a vacuum gauge to monitor the vacuum pump. Now another thought. Since vacuum operates these and (ideally) low vacuum will cause a light to come on. It seems, to me, that there is probably a diaphragm inside them. In that case, it would probably be bad at this point and cause a vacuum leak. I think that I'll try unhooking mine and seeing what it does to the vacuum level tomorrow.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that I'll try unhooking mine and seeing what it does to the vacuum level tomorrow.
Well scratch that idea. The vacuum line was still hooked to that indicator, but the other end was unhooked so I guess it never would have come on. I'm sure that it was me who unhooked it, but just didn't remember doing it.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you guys have me thinking. Does anyone know how these vacuum warning sensors work, or how to test them?