What is the sensor.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
directly on the oil fill/IP gear cover? 2 wires, takes a 1" wrench to remove.

94 7.3 IDI.

Additionally, what does the computer do on these engines? I can see it being used for idle up (I see that solenoid), and I can see it being used for the 'check engine' light (yup, still there! ;Sweet). With a mechanical IP, and cruise being handled by a standalone controller, what use is there for the computer? Running the guages on the dash?

Thanks!

edit: google answered part of my question. Looks like the tach sensor. Will it matter if the first ~.5" are exposed? I could always heatshrink them, just didn't know if it was required.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Yep tach sensor and if you have an auto tranny you need that sensor to work so either shrink tube them if you can but I would use liquid electric tape myself. The closest thing these trucks have to a computer is on the autos and that just controls shifting nothing else

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Thats a tach senser.. If yout truck has a standard trans they are not an issue if they don't work... But they are required if you have an auto trans.... The auto trans the injection upmp tps, plus the speedo and the rear speed senser in the differantial for proper operation. All these imputs go to the cumputer or cpu behind the floor kick panel next to the driver. Then the cpu tells the trans how to operate properly.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Yes... Thats a tach senser.. If yout truck has a standard trans they are not an issue if they don't work... But they are required if you have an auto trans.... The auto trans the injection upmp tps, plus the speedo and the rear speed senser in the differantial for proper operation. All these imputs go to the cumputer or cpu behind the floor kick panel next to the driver. Then the cpu tells the trans how to operate properly.

Well, the donor truck was originally an auto, so that explains the computer.
:thumbsup:
How do I wire up the dash (tach) and delete the computer then? If I can remove the computer from the equation, it'll simplify the wiring of the swap :angel:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The tach has 4 connections, 12v+, two grounds and sensor. The tach sensor leads can go straight to the dash and connect to the sensor and one of the grounds. Then just provide power and you're done. The dash may already have the connections to the main harness, so you may already be halfway there.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
The tach has 4 connections, 12v+, two grounds and sensor. The tach sensor leads can go straight to the dash and connect to the sensor and one of the grounds. Then just provide power and you're done. The dash may already have the connections to the main harness, so you may already be halfway there.

Sweet! Looks like I won't have to worry about wiring in the computer then :thumbsup:.

Nothing against them when they help my truck run better, but if they don't do anything, why use them?

Next question - what about warm up the warm up solenoids on the IP? Worth wiring back up? :dunno

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The ECU isn't needed if you don't have an E4OD trans (I do, but I'm using an aftermarket controller.). Since it does get cool down there in the winter, I would power the high idle solenoid. It's really not that hard to do, as the stock harness has everything already wired. I was able to integrate the Ford harness into the Chevy pretty easily.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
So basically, anything that I want to run can be done from a switch instead of the computer? Sweet!

Less wiring, here I come!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
While you are wiring, locate the two yellow positive wires that go to the glow plug relay, through the wiring harness connector and end at the starter solenoid. On many a truck the harness connector has melted because these two wires are barely big enough to handle the load. Go ahead and run a 4 gauge or bigger wire directly to the glow plug relay from the starter solenoid, and disconnect the original wires and tape them up.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46330

heres the thread when it happened to me.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
directly on the oil fill/IP gear cover? 2 wires, takes a 1" wrench to remove.

94 7.3 IDI.

Additionally, what does the computer do on these engines? I can see it being used for idle up (I see that solenoid), and I can see it being used for the 'check engine' light (yup, still there! ;Sweet). With a mechanical IP, and cruise being handled by a standalone controller, what use is there for the computer? Running the guages on the dash?

Thanks!

edit: google answered part of my question. Looks like the tach sensor. Will it matter if the first ~.5" are exposed? I could always heatshrink them, just didn't know if it was required.

Sensor location

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    248.2 KB · Views: 14

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
While you are wiring, locate the two yellow positive wires that go to the glow plug relay, through the wiring harness connector and end at the starter solenoid. On many a truck the harness connector has melted because these two wires are barely big enough to handle the load. Go ahead and run a 4 gauge or bigger wire directly to the glow plug relay from the starter solenoid, and disconnect the original wires and tape them up.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46330

heres the thread when it happened to me.

Awesome.;Really I'll make sure I swap that wire out, since I'm redoing that harness before it goes back together.

Sensor location

Awesome! Thanks :hail