What is the best

HOIB

MYRMIDON
Reaction score
Aftermarket airfilter sytem to start with on an '06 Dudge.
Hope I'm not repeating myself :confused:

How about AFE, I've heard alot about them at the Hair Haute---I'm getting one installed or doing it myself ASAP.
Does it keep the sensors and the filter minder thing

TIA, Herb

MUDDY

Reaction score
the afe system keeps the sensors. use ONLY the proguard 7 filter for good filtration

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, the proguard 7 is the best for filtration, as far as putting it in I did mine in the dark after a few beers :cheers: they are easy to put in and save the money for the install. See ya

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are going to buy replacement filters for your fuel/oil/air... genos has pretty good prices. has anyone else noticed that on the 600/610 the oil turns black right after you change it?

100 Proof

Reaction score
Eagle, Idaho Please set your watch back 20 years w
One additional thought. In back to back tests, my truck experienced a 10 degree Max EGT drop, a .3 psi boost increase, and a .2 MPG mileage increase by doing the simple $5 Home Depot air box mod to the stock airbox. I then switched to an AFE Magnum Force system with a PG7 and re-ran the test. There was no additional change that I could detect with the AFE system.

All runs were pulling a 8,500 # trailer on a 18.2 mile round trip course that included a 6%, 1,642 foot elevation gain and the drop. Ambient temperature was 80˚F. Cruise control was set and the truck stayed in 5th gear for all runs.

I still have the AFE system installed, but if I were to do it over again knowing what I know now, I would probably just do the air box mod, buy 2 PG7 drop-in panel filters, and run one while the other is being cleaned and dried.

Just my $0.02. Your mileage may vary...

100 Proof

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ummm, could you explain to me the "home depot airbox" i have never heard of or seen what your talkin about.

100 Proof

Reaction score
Eagle, Idaho Please set your watch back 20 years w
First of all, let me give credit whwere credit is due. I did not come up with the original idea. For what I think is the first iteration with some photos, look on the TDR for this thread: "Inexpensive Air box mod"

"The added pipe is about 4" Di. and is bringing in air from the outside to the filter. This is in addition to the air intake on the side of the airbox. The stock hole where it draws air is pretty small. The reason you do this is to get additional air to the airbox."

In my application, I purchased a 4" PVC 90˚ elbow from Home Depot. I cut a hole in the bottom of the air box pretty tight to the approximate finished dimension I needed with a saber saw. I then used a file and did a finish fit with the elbow going in and out until I was happy with the fit. Then I dropped the elbow into the hole through the top with the flange in the air box. The flange keeps it from falling through. Then I placed the assembly into the truck to rotate the elbow to the proper angle. In my install, I also had to trim a little off the end of the elbow as well to clear the A/C lines. Once every thing was dry fit properly, I used black RTV on the bottom to keep the thing from "riding up" into the air box.

Please note that the stock paper panel filter is now potentially exposed to the elements in way that might add risk to the health of the filter. That is why I would upgrade to a PG7 drop in.

100 Proof

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online